DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Slight mildewy smell in basement (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/126399-slight-mildewy-smell-basement.html)

Never Enough Money October 25th 05 02:18 AM

Slight mildewy smell in basement

Associated post: "Water under refriferator"

I have wet/dry vac'ed about 8 gallons of water from my finished
basement. I left the carpet wet and ran fans over it for several days
with windows open and the furnace fan on. Then I bought a dehumidifier.
It's finally dry. However, there's a slight mildewy smell down there.
What should/can I do?

Thanks!

m Ransley October 25th 05 04:40 AM

Slight mildewy smell in basement

Spray it with bleach or junk it.

Al Bundy October 25th 05 01:19 PM

Slight mildewy smell in basement

You need to replace that carpet now or be burdened with mold forever.
All you did was breed pathogens for several days.

Bob October 25th 05 09:26 PM

Slight mildewy smell in basement

I had a similar problem, then had Sears come and clean the carpet.
After they left, it was almost already dry, left the windows open for a
day, then put a dehumidifier in there set at 40%.

It's been good ever since.