DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   High price of 600 amp circuit breakers? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/126360-re-high-price-600-amp-circuit-breakers.html)

Harold and Susan Vordos October 24th 05 08:11 PM

High price of 600 amp circuit breakers?

"Ignoramus5533" wrote in message
I came into possession of a few used 400-600A circuit breakers. Each
is the size of a milk jug. While researching prices on them and such
(they sell for $150-200 on ebay), I learned that some cost many
thousands of dollars new. I saw numbers from $2,500 and higher.

I am curious just what makes them so expensive. Do they have any
precious materials inside? Or what?

My experience in refining precious metals taught me that high amperage
contacts are usually made from a compound of silver and some other element,
often tungsten. You can expect the breakers to contain silver, but that
hardly explains the high cost, particularly when a contact is generally well
under a troy ounce in size. Cost is likely attributed to a high
degree of engineering and limited production.

That's my story, and I'm stickin' too it! g

Harold