DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   leak in thermal expansion tank (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/126287-leak-thermal-expansion-tank.html)

[email protected] October 24th 05 11:53 AM

leak in thermal expansion tank

Hi, I came home from 3 days out of town to discover my expansion tank
had developed a pin size hole and had saturated padding and slab in
about 600 sq ft of my basement in addition to some baseboard and sheet
rock damage. The tank is almost 6 years old.

What is the normal life of one of these tanks and aside from coming
home to this situation every 6 years, what is the recommended method of
dealing with one of these tanks?

There isn't a floor drain in the basement, but I do have a water alarm
on the floor next to the water heater. Unfortuneately, the 3 neighbors
we usually have keep an eye on things for us were all out of town as
well(kids off from school). I have heard different opinions regarding
turning of the water to the entire house when leaving town. I usually
just turn off the line to the washing machine.

Thanks,

Jim

Brian October 24th 05 12:09 PM

leak in thermal expansion tank

SmartHome sell a product called Water Cop.

It will help you as by shutting your water off when their is a leak.

--

---------------------------------------
Brian Dye

http://tech-home.com
---------------------------------------

oups.com...

m Ransley October 24th 05 03:04 PM

leak in thermal expansion tank

I put in a 1/4 turn valve on the main , if I leave for more than a day
its off. At 5 gallons a minute in 3 days you could of had 21000 gallons
in your basement, yes twenty one thousand, I hope you have a sump, but
if that failed you would be swimming. There are auto main shutoffs or
get in the habit. Tanks should last the life of the system 20 years

Dan October 26th 05 09:58 AM

leak in thermal expansion tank

Look at www.hydrobell.com . You could put the alarm outside (on window
sill) and extend the sensor wire to your basement. Somebody would react
for sure if it beeps day and night.