Default Looking to make a motorized...

What do I need (relays? gears?) to have a small electric motor turn on
via a timer, run for the few seconds needed to raise a small (10 x 14
inch) piece of wood via string and pulley (door to a chicken coop),
turn itself off, then turn on again via timer hours later and run in
the opposite direction to lower (close) the door and turn itself off
until it's time to tbe turned on again? This seems to be on the
principle of a garage door opener, only smaller and opening/closing on
a timer switch instead of a push-button or transmitted signal, right?
Are there systems like this already in existence?

Thanks.

Lynn Willis
Indianapolis

RBM

I would say, you need a time clock, a reversible gear motor, with limit
switches and whatever mechanical attachments needed to connect to your door.
I'm wondering if it wouldn't be simple enough to adapt a garage door opener
to the task

wrote in message
oups.com...
What do I need (relays? gears?) to have a small electric motor turn on
via a timer, run for the few seconds needed to raise a small (10 x 14
inch) piece of wood via string and pulley (door to a chicken coop),
turn itself off, then turn on again via timer hours later and run in
the opposite direction to lower (close) the door and turn itself off
until it's time to tbe turned on again? This seems to be on the
principle of a garage door opener, only smaller and opening/closing on
a timer switch instead of a push-button or transmitted signal, right?
Are there systems like this already in existence?

Thanks.

Lynn Willis
Indianapolis

No

Take a look at www.smarthome.com they may have the stuff you need. let
us know what your solution end up being. A couple of pictures or video
would be neat.

Walter R.

Use an electric solenoid and a cheap plug-in timer to activate it. Opens the
door via a suitable lever when the solenoid is activated; closes the door by
gravity, or by a spring, when the timer shuts off power to the solenoid.

Keep it simple.

--
Walter
www.rationality.net
wrote in message
oups.com...
What do I need (relays? gears?) to have a small electric motor turn on
via a timer, run for the few seconds needed to raise a small (10 x 14
inch) piece of wood via string and pulley (door to a chicken coop),
turn itself off, then turn on again via timer hours later and run in
the opposite direction to lower (close) the door and turn itself off
until it's time to tbe turned on again? This seems to be on the
principle of a garage door opener, only smaller and opening/closing on
a timer switch instead of a push-button or transmitted signal, right?
Are there systems like this already in existence?

Thanks.

Lynn Willis
Indianapolis

Trekking Tom

Find a rotiserie motor for and old BBQ grill. Attach a plywood disk to
this attach a lever on one end of this level is the motor and disk the
other would be attached to the top of your vertical sliding door. If
the coop is visiable from your remote location you could apply power
until the door was closed & vise a versa. Nice slow operation, quiet.
you should be able to build it closed to the wall the door is in.

Good luck
Tom