DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Replace bathroom drywall or repaint? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/125951-replace-bathroom-drywall-repaint.html)

Bryan October 22nd 05 03:39 AM

Replace bathroom drywall or repaint?

I noticed some mold growing on the bathroom drywall above the tiles and on
the ceiling.

Is a good TSP cleaning followed with repainting a good solution or do I need
to replace all the bathroom drywall?

If I need to replace the bathroom drywall will I have to screw up the shower
tiling to do it or does the drywall sit on top of a separate piece of wall
behind the tile?

m Ransley October 22nd 05 04:11 AM

Replace bathroom drywall or repaint?

I would just spray on a little bleach, mold is common in baths ,
probably no need to repaint, Just use an old spray bottle, fill with
bleach and keep it handy, mold is common.

Ken October 22nd 05 01:38 PM

Replace bathroom drywall or repaint?

Christian Fox wrote:
In article , says...

I would just spray on a little bleach, mold is common in baths ,
probably no need to repaint, Just use an old spray bottle, fill with
bleach and keep it handy, mold is common.

It'd be a better idea to get rid of the cause of the mold, rather than just treat the
symptoms as they appear. If there's mold in a bathroom, the bathroom probably doesn't
have enough ventilation to get rid of the excess moisture.

Another trick that worked for me, is painting surfaces in a bathroom
with semi-gloss paint rather than flat paint. Moisture does not
penetrate it like it does flat paint.