DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Water in oil tanks (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/124549-water-oil-tanks.html)

boden October 12th 05 01:27 PM

Water in oil tanks

I don't know if I have water in my tanks but I'd like to add something
(methanol?) to them to make sure I don't by adding something (what's the
best choice?) prior to the next filling. I have three steel 330 gallon
tanks of #2 fuel oil in my basement connected in parallel feeding a
furnace fired at 2 gph flow rate.

I've asked several local oil dealers and discovered that they don't add
anything, nor do they stock any additives.

kevin October 12th 05 02:27 PM

Water in oil tanks

I've asked several local oil dealers and discovered that they don't
add anything, nor do they stock any additives.

I guess that should give you a little clue, then...

[email protected] October 12th 05 03:15 PM

Water in oil tanks

" I've asked several local oil dealers and discovered that they don't
add anything, nor do they stock any additives. "

I've seen fuel oil treatment at plumbing supply houses.

EXT October 12th 05 06:12 PM

Water in oil tanks

Go to a truckers repairshop, they should have diesel stabilizer and
treatments that you can use. Diesel is identical or very close to fuel oil
depending on region.

ups.com...

Dr. Hardcrab October 12th 05 06:29 PM

Water in oil tanks

"EXT" etonks@sunstormADD-DOT-COM wrote

Go to a truckers repairshop, they should have diesel stabilizer and
treatments that you can use. Diesel is identical or very close to fuel oil
depending on region.

I'll second that. Even Dri-Gas will do the trick.

If your tanks are in the basement, I wouldn't worry too much about getting
water in them. Sure, over the years you may get condensation, but it
wouldn't be much. Do you have a way of "sticking" (measuring) the tank? They
make a water paste that you smear on the end of a stick and will change
colors if water is present.

Still can't believe an oil company doesn't have any type of additive.....

ups.com...

Harry K October 13th 05 03:00 AM

Water in oil tanks

Dr. Hardcrab wrote:
"EXT" etonks@sunstormADD-DOT-COM wrote

Go to a truckers repairshop, they should have diesel stabilizer and
treatments that you can use. Diesel is identical or very close to fuel oil
depending on region.

I'll second that. Even Dri-Gas will do the trick.

If your tanks are in the basement, I wouldn't worry too much about getting
water in them. Sure, over the years you may get condensation, but it
wouldn't be much. Do you have a way of "sticking" (measuring) the tank? They
make a water paste that you smear on the end of a stick and will change
colors if water is present.

Still can't believe an oil company doesn't have any type of additive.....

wrote in message
ups.com...
" I've asked several local oil dealers and discovered that they don't
add anything, nor do they stock any additives. "

I've seen fuel oil treatment at plumbing supply houses.

Same here. I got mine at the local NAPA auto parts store. Of course
that one's customer base is mostly big farmers running lots of diesel
equipment.

Harry K