Bill Stock

Default Dishwasher ****ing out bottom of door

I just replaced the motor/pump in a Maytag dishwasher as the it was leaking
around the shaft of the motor. This all went well and the motor isn't
leaking anymore. BUT, there is serious leakage around the bottom of the
door. The DW is level, not overfilling and not leaking around the door side
seals. This only happens when the spray arm is active. So it would appear
that it is spaying against the bottom of the door. BUT, there are not any
obvious cracks in the spray arm, although it was removed of course. The
Spray arm is turning freely BTW.

I'm thinking it has something to do with the Ring seal not being seated
properly. Is there any trick to putting the seal back, ie. any particular
orientation?

FACE

On Tue, 11 Oct 2005 11:38:06 -0400, "Bill Stock"
wrote:

I just replaced the motor/pump in a Maytag dishwasher as the it was leaking
around the shaft of the motor. This all went well and the motor isn't
leaking anymore. BUT, there is serious leakage around the bottom of the
door. The DW is level, not overfilling and not leaking around the door side
seals. This only happens when the spray arm is active. So it would appear
that it is spaying against the bottom of the door. BUT, there are not any
obvious cracks in the spray arm, although it was removed of course. The
Spray arm is turning freely BTW.

I'm thinking it has something to do with the Ring seal not being seated
properly. Is there any trick to putting the seal back, ie. any particular
orientation?

That was the case with Kenmore. The ring seal was loose and water was
getting around it. I used Liquid Nails Tub and Tile Surround to reset
and secure the seal where it was loose and that lasted the rest of the
life of the dishwasher -- about 5 years. As to the orientation of the
seal, since it was not loose all the way around i found it pretty
intuitive.

FACE

Art

I just had the motor replaced in a 3 rack Maytag dishwasher. All the guy
did was drop it in. By the way the new motor, made in China, was noisier
then the old and the front panel board went out on the dishwasher a few
weeks later. This was the 4 th breakdown in a 2 year old Maytag dishwasher
and I trashed it. Even though the parts are guaranteed they are charging
$155 for labor so it was not worth sinking another penny into this trouble
plagued dishwasher. Before spending more money on yours, make sure it is

Bill Stock

wrote:

[...]

The seal is actually two split rings. So I was wondering if the split was
supposed to fit around a nub or if the rings were supposed to be offset.
Preventing the split from lining up and letting water through.

FACE

Peter H

Does this model have the little boot that keeps the soap dispenser lid
closed? If so I would bet that the gasket around that boot is shot. You can
purchase the soap dispenser unit separately and install. It's not a
difficult fix.

Peter H

"Bill Stock" wrote in message
I just replaced the motor/pump in a Maytag dishwasher as the it was

leaking
around the shaft of the motor. This all went well and the motor isn't
leaking anymore. BUT, there is serious leakage around the bottom of the
door. The DW is level, not overfilling and not leaking around the door

side
seals. This only happens when the spray arm is active. So it would appear
that it is spaying against the bottom of the door. BUT, there are not any
obvious cracks in the spray arm, although it was removed of course. The
Spray arm is turning freely BTW.

I'm thinking it has something to do with the Ring seal not being seated
properly. Is there any trick to putting the seal back, ie. any particular
orientation?

Bill Stock

"Art" wrote in message
link.net...
I just had the motor replaced in a 3 rack Maytag dishwasher. All the guy
did was drop it in. By the way the new motor, made in China, was noisier
then the old and the front panel board went out on the dishwasher a few
weeks later. This was the 4 th breakdown in a 2 year old Maytag dishwasher
and I trashed it. Even though the parts are guaranteed they are charging
$155 for labor so it was not worth sinking another penny into this trouble
plagued dishwasher. Before spending more money on yours, make sure it is
not one of their unreliable models like mine. You can check at
epinions.com for comments on your model. The 3 rack versions have a
horrible collection of complaints.

Yeah, the motor job was less than an hour. Not counting the day I wasted
last week tearing the old one apart. Only to realize the seals were not
built to be repaired.

Our Maytag Fridge and Stove are design disasters. We won't buy their
applainces again.

"Bill Stock" wrote in message
I just replaced the motor/pump in a Maytag dishwasher as the it was
leaking around the shaft of the motor. This all went well and the motor
isn't leaking anymore. BUT, there is serious leakage around the bottom of
the door. The DW is level, not overfilling and not leaking around the door
side seals. This only happens when the spray arm is active. So it would
appear that it is spaying against the bottom of the door. BUT, there are
not any obvious cracks in the spray arm, although it was removed of
course. The Spray arm is turning freely BTW.

I'm thinking it has something to do with the Ring seal not being seated
properly. Is there any trick to putting the seal back, ie. any particular
orientation?

Bill Stock

"Peter H" wrote in message
.. .
Does this model have the little boot that keeps the soap dispenser lid
closed? If so I would bet that the gasket around that boot is shot. You
can
purchase the soap dispenser unit separately and install. It's not a
difficult fix.

Peter H

Thanks Peter, it's leaking way too much for a door seal. I may have to
rethink the "not overfilling" statement. Although the water is not above the
'bowl' in the bottom of the tub, it may be above the bottom of the air gap
cover. It's either sloshing out the bottom of the door (both sides) or
spraying out. I'm REAL tempted to don my slicker and hold the latch shut so
I can watch the action. LOL.

Starngely it did not leak at all tonight and I didn't make any changes.

"Bill Stock" wrote in message
I just replaced the motor/pump in a Maytag dishwasher as the it was

leaking
around the shaft of the motor. This all went well and the motor isn't
leaking anymore. BUT, there is serious leakage around the bottom of the
door. The DW is level, not overfilling and not leaking around the door

side
seals. This only happens when the spray arm is active. So it would appear
that it is spaying against the bottom of the door. BUT, there are not any
obvious cracks in the spray arm, although it was removed of course. The
Spray arm is turning freely BTW.

I'm thinking it has something to do with the Ring seal not being seated
properly. Is there any trick to putting the seal back, ie. any particular
orientation?

FACE

On Tue, 11 Oct 2005 18:37:55 -0400, "Bill Stock"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

I see. Obviously my Kenmore seal was simpler then and "intuitive"
does not apply to your situation. :-) -- FACE

Brigitte

"Bill Stock" wrote in message
.. .

"Peter H" wrote in message
.. .
Does this model have the little boot that keeps the soap dispenser lid
closed? If so I would bet that the gasket around that boot is shot. You
can
purchase the soap dispenser unit separately and install. It's not a
difficult fix.

Peter H

Thanks Peter, it's leaking way too much for a door seal. I may have to
rethink the "not overfilling" statement. Although the water is not above

the
'bowl' in the bottom of the tub, it may be above the bottom of the air gap
cover. It's either sloshing out the bottom of the door (both sides) or
spraying out. I'm REAL tempted to don my slicker and hold the latch shut

so
I can watch the action. LOL.

Starngely it did not leak at all tonight and I didn't make any changes.

I have a whirlpool dishwasher that's about 6 years old. One day it leaked
about two cups of water out onto the kitchen floor. I reluctantly tried the
dishwasher again, but with a towel under it to soak up any water, but it
didn't end up leaking. This was approximately one year ago, and has never
leaked again.

I don't know what caused the leak, but whatever it was, it "fixed" itself.

Brigitte

FACE

On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 13:53:28 GMT, "Brigitte"
wrote:

"Bill Stock" wrote in message
. ..

"Peter H" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Personal experience here, nothing more.

I have found that these one time or occasional leaks can be caused by
having say, a saucer or bowl, in just the correct position in the
front of the basket to deflect a jet spray of water at "just the
right place" so that it goes behind the seal.

FACE

Look! A puppy!