Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
caledon

Default insulation questions

Hi,
I have posted before my insulation in attic question....I am now at
the next stage. i have removed all the critter soaked old insulation
out of my century home (105 years) and now have to re-insulate. How is
the question. After taking out the insulation, the floor of the attic
is plaster and lathe. Not in good shape in some places...fine in
others. I am located in Ontario, Canada, north or Toronto. Very cold
winters! I have differing opinions between the blown in vs. batts.
Vapor barrier or not. I do not want to tear down the existing plaster
that is the ceiling of the top floor/floor of the attic. I talked to
Home Depot regarding using batts. You can no longer get batts that have
the paper siding that acts as a vapour barrier. I do not want to have
to put plastic down between every joist if at all possible. The home
depot "guy" said, all I have to do is lay the batts down between the
joists (R20)then lay more batts the opposite direction (again R20) for
a total of R40, then put ?mil plastic over top, stapling to the joists.
I would think that this would cause condensation between the plastic
and the ceiling/floor of the attic. He insisted that this is how it is
done. I would have thought that the plastic would have to go down
first, followed by batts. I would rather avoid having to do this, since
I am doing the job myself, winter is fast approaching and the prospect
of taking on such a job (the plastic) on my own.....makes me want to
run and play in traffic. I don't want to accept what he is saying just
because it is what I want to hear.....

My question is...is he right? Batts on top of the plaster and lathe,
then plastic? Would blown in insulation be best? I would appreciate
some advice...asap...since winter is fast approaching...

thanks in advance for any advice. btw, pics of attic are
here...http://www.maddawg.net/house/

regards
janet

Limited Attic Space, no insulation, need help fast [email protected] Home Repair 30 August 24th 05 05:57 PM
insulation caledon Home Repair 13 August 22nd 05 09:55 PM
Loft conversion - technical questions hansen UK diy 11 April 19th 05 07:51 PM
Cavity Wall Insulation patrick j UK diy 7 March 28th 05 11:29 PM
Fixing loft boarding *through* insulation and derating cable. Mike Hall UK diy 11 January 9th 04 03:45 PM