DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   GE Dryer Cabinet Top Removal (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/123460-ge-dryer-cabinet-top-removal.html)

gorbster October 4th 05 06:28 PM

GE Dryer Cabinet Top Removal

I've got a late model GE electric dryer. It's probably no more than 3-4
years old, but I can't find the exact model on the "Buy Now" section of
GE's site (I don't have the model number so I can only gauge by the
photographs on the site).

However, I'm guessing it's roughly equivalent to the base-model dryer
(it's got two knobs: 'time' and 'start').

I need to check the elements. All the DIY online references I come
across say that there are screws holding down the top of the cabinet.
There are no screws anywhere on the front of this thing.

I came across some threads in this group mentioning the need for a
putty knife to remove the cabinet tops.

Assuming this is the latest base-model GE electric dryer model, does
anyone know how to go about removing the cabinet top in order to
disassemble the machine?

Thanks,

-Brian

Duane Bozarth October 4th 05 06:53 PM

gorbster wrote:

[...]

Every GE dryer I've seen has two spring clips on the front about 3-4"
from the corners--stick a stiff-bladed thin knife in and push them in
while lifting the front of the top....it then just lays back for access.

Appliance Repair Aid October 4th 05 08:08 PM

Hi,

I don't have the model number

Will need it...some are made by GE some are made by Frigidaire and
Amana for GE with the GE name on it.

A common GE built GE....
http://www.applianceaid.com/take-apart.html

A common Frigidaire built GE....
http://www.applianceaid.com/wwf-howto.html
http://www.applianceaid.com/wwfhowtodryer.html

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

Mike Foss October 4th 05 08:24 PM

"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message ...
gorbster wrote:

I've got a late model GE electric dryer. It's probably no more than 3-4
years old, but I can't find the exact model on the "Buy Now" section of
GE's site (I don't have the model number so I can only gauge by the
photographs on the site).

There's no model# plate inside the dryer door?

gorbster October 4th 05 08:59 PM

There is, but I keep forgetting to jot it down before running off to
work in the mornings (just moved into a new place, and internet doesn't
get hooked up til the end of the week).

[email protected] October 4th 05 09:17 PM

gorbster wrote:
[...]

On my GE dryer the 2 screws are located inside the door opening near the
top corners

Stormin Mormon October 4th 05 09:18 PM

Some dryers, you have to open the door, and then stand on your head. The
screws are along the top edge of the door opening. That one got me but good,
one time.

--

Christopher A. Young
Do good work.

ups.com...

Duane Bozarth October 4th 05 09:46 PM

Duane Bozarth wrote:

gorbster wrote:

[...]

Sorry...I mixed bup between washer and dryer--it's the wasther w/ the
two springs and a few screws underneath the top lip on the dryers...

Kathy October 5th 05 02:20 AM

"gorbster" wrote in message
ups.com...
I've got a late model GE electric dryer. It's

probably no more than 3-4
years old, but I can't find the exact model on

the "Buy Now" section of
GE's site (I don't have the model number so I can

only gauge by the
photographs on the site).

However, I'm guessing it's roughly equivalent to

the base-model dryer
(it's got two knobs: 'time' and 'start').

OK, thats the kind I have though mine is about 6
years old. The screws are at the lint trap.