Tom

Default Attic insulation without vapor barrier

I have an older home with 6 inches of cellulose blown between the joists of
an unfinished attic. There are about 10 inches of fiberglass batting on top
of this. There is no vapor barrier.

I'm thinking of adding some more batting, but should I start over by
removing the blown cellulose first , putting in a vapor barrior and then the
batting? Or should I just forget about the vapor barrier? There is plenty
of attic ventilation and no evidence of water damage.

Thanks,
Tom

Michael Baugh

You can forget about the vapor barrier, because it's already there.
One coat of oil-base paint, or two coats of latex semi-gloss,
will give a perm rating of 0.99 or better. So your vapor
barrier has probably already been painted into place.
That doesn't, however, address the penetrations of wall
openings between ceilings.