Default Re. GFCI Circuit protection question-outdoor wiring

If you didn't already by the wire I would run it in conduit. And for
the GFCI question, you can buy GFCI breakers if your coming from the
panel.

Mark

use a regular breaker and wire the outside cable via a GCI outlet

My outdoor light is GFCI protected by an outlet in the garage

Mark

Don Young

Does your code book say anything about running two feeders to one structure?
Generally not a good idea for several reasons including more expensive. One
adequate sized feeder and a sub-panel would be much preferable. If your
heater is in an area with plumbing, concrete, dampness or other possible
ground sources it should be protected by a GFCI breaker. Approved direct
burial cable is available and some but not all codes permit its use without
further protection. In the long run it is always best to follow your local
codes and your inspectors advice. A non-conforming electrical installation
has few advantages and can be a significant liability.
Don Young

"chester" wrote in message

If you didn't already by the wire I would run it in conduit. And for
the GFCI question, you can buy GFCI breakers if your coming from the
panel.

well cant find GFCI breakers for my panel. Looked online and at -some-
stomres, although I havent had the opportunity to visit specialty stores.
And if I dont need them, I dont want to use them, since they are VERY
expensive for a dual 20A GFCI. As far as conduit goes, I have toyed with
theidea, but everything else I have read, and everyone I have talked to,
says it just isnt necessary. Even the book I have that is all about "above
code" just says bury them 2ft insteat of 1ft. Conduit makes it a PITA more
than it already is.

chester

Don Young wrote:

Does your code book say anything about running two feeders to one structure?
Generally not a good idea for several reasons including more expensive. One
adequate sized feeder and a sub-panel would be much preferable. If your
heater is in an area with plumbing, concrete, dampness or other possible
ground sources it should be protected by a GFCI breaker. Approved direct
burial cable is available and some but not all codes permit its use without
further protection. In the long run it is always best to follow your local
codes and your inspectors advice. A non-conforming electrical installation
has few advantages and can be a significant liability.
Don Young

Well I am not certain about local codes. I guess I better check. My goal
was not to skirt code, but to follow it. as I said in the above psot:

I suppose code could be different here (in seattle) but I dont really
know. Guess I better check on it.

I guess my choices are

-keep it the same and not worry about it (what is the harm in having two
circuits off the main panel?
-change the heater to 120V, deal with smaller heating capacity, and use
the two wires I have already started running (they are not underground)
to one dual 20A circuit
-change the wiring to 10/3 w/g and run a 30A subpanel, wasting the $44 I
spent on 250ft of 12/2 w/g and the time under the house. However this is
definately not a cheaper option than 12/2 with two circuits, even if I
hadnt purchased the 12/2 already

or I supppose I could run it as is, and change it ater if needed. I
guess i should run conduit so I could pull 10/3 out if I need later

dunno what's best