Brian E. Clark

Default Time for a new furnace?

I have a very old, very large Bryant furnace (circa 1938) in my
basement. Last spring, near the end of the heating season, I
noticed a gassy smell when the furnace first fired.

Today I had the unit examined by a technician from a local
(reputable) repair company. When we turned the furnace on, his
CO meter went insane as we approached the front of the unit.

Now, the trouble is that he couldn't find the source of the
"leak." It seemed to him that the burned gases weren't reaching
the flue properly. It could be that there's a blockage in the
heat exchanger or the exhaust pipes. Or there could be a crack
in the heat exchanger itself. (It's just not possible to get a
full view of the exchanger without taking part of the furnace
apart.)

I'm trying to decide on options. Should I just get a new
furnace? Or should I pay the furnace company a fair bundle to
disassemble the unit and look for a block or leak? Will
exchangers that are approaching their 70th birthday even come
apart, so we can look for blockage?

If a new unit is need, what's the ballpark price in the
Pittsburgh region? (The old, 1938, ratings were 200,000 BTS in
and 160,000 BTUs out. But several furnace folks have told me
that a new unit wouldn't need to be anywhere near as robust,
because newer furnaces lose less of their heat up the chimney.)

Thanks.

-----------
Brian E. Clark

Edwin Pawlowski

"Brian E. Clark" wrote in message

Now, the trouble is that he couldn't find the source of the
"leak." It seemed to him that the burned gases weren't reaching
the flue properly. It could be that there's a blockage in the
heat exchanger or the exhaust pipes. Or there could be a crack
in the heat exchanger itself. (It's just not possible to get a
full view of the exchanger without taking part of the furnace
apart.)

Or it could be a bird nest on the of the flue.

I'm trying to decide on options. Should I just get a new
furnace? Or should I pay the furnace company a fair bundle to
disassemble the unit and look for a block or leak? Will
exchangers that are approaching their 70th birthday even come
apart, so we can look for blockage?

At that age, it is risky to try to disassemble anything. Rust, corrosion,
frozen bolts,

If a new unit is need, what's the ballpark price in the
Pittsburgh region?

I can't help you.

(The old, 1938, ratings were 200,000 BTS in
and 160,000 BTUs out. But several furnace folks have told me
that a new unit wouldn't need to be anywhere near as robust,
because newer furnaces lose less of their heat up the chimney.)

True. Your heating contractor can do the calculations to determine just how
big a unit you need.

PaPaPeng

On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 22:08:48 -0400, Brian E. Clark
wrote:

I have a very old, very large Bryant furnace (circa 1938)

67 years for any piece of equipment has already more than earned its
keep. Replace it with a new unit, and with that, the ability to find
parts to upkeep it in top working order. This also allows you to
check the heating ducts and trunking for integrity and clean them.
Repairing the old unit only delays the inevitable.
Jonathan Grobe

wrote:

I have a very old, very large Bryant furnace (circa 1938)

How long do you expect to remain at this place? Ignoring
repair costs, just the savings in energy will justify
a new furnace over not too many years. This furnace may be
something like 60% efficient and replacing it with a
92% efficient furnace would mean of savings of 1/3 your yearly
energy cost. [Can someone give a better estimate of
how much he would save on energy?]

--
Jonathan Grobe Books
Browse our inventory of thousands of used books at:

HeatMan

wrote:

I have a very old, very large Bryant furnace (circa 1938)

How long do you expect to remain at this place? Ignoring
repair costs, just the savings in energy will justify
a new furnace over not too many years. This furnace may be
something like 60% efficient

Inserted.

Sixty percent efficient? It may have been that when it was installed.

and replacing it with a
92% efficient furnace would mean of savings of 1/3 your yearly
energy cost. [Can someone give a better estimate of
how much he would save on energy?]

--
Jonathan Grobe Books
Browse our inventory of thousands of used books at:
http://www.grobebooks.com

I think 60% efficient is extremely optomistic. Emphasis on extreme.