Stupid48

Default Preparing concrete for glue down wood flooring...

I'm preparing to put down glue down bamboo flooring on a concrete slab
and have a couple questions. I've already tested the concrete for
humidity and PH and it is o.k. The slab is way above grade.

1. I removed the carpet tack strips from the perimeter and the little
nails broke away some of the concrete when I removed most of them. How
should I fill these holes. Do I use the same self leveling stuff as I
am going to use the fix the uneven spots?

2. The floor itself has alot of remnants of the drywall and stucco
process. Just alot of white on the floor. There is also overspray
around the perimeter from the painters. How clean does the floor
actually have to be? Should I clean the entire floor so all I see is
grey concrete and if so how? Do I need to get the floor shotblasted or
scraped or use some kind of chemical cleaner or a combination of all?

Also, the t-moldings I bought. Since the transition between the wood
and ceramic
is a bit off, how much of a slant can the t-moldings take?

Thanks for any advise.

Chris...

Abe

I'm preparing to put down glue down bamboo flooring on a concrete slab
and have a couple questions. I've already tested the concrete for
humidity and PH and it is o.k. The slab is way above grade.

Hmm, not sure if a vapor barrier is needed. Make sure to look at the
manufacurer's recommendations. Wood directly on concrete is generally
not good.

1. I removed the carpet tack strips from the perimeter and the little
nails broke away some of the concrete when I removed most of them. How
should I fill these holes. Do I use the same self leveling stuff as I
am going to use the fix the uneven spots?

The self leveler will work fine. Just make sure the concrete is clean
and free of dust before applying it. Make sure you vacuum the concrete
well before starting the install.

2. The floor itself has alot of remnants of the drywall and stucco
process. Just alot of white on the floor. There is also overspray
around the perimeter from the painters. How clean does the floor
actually have to be?

A hand scraper is all you need. There are ones that have extension
poles so you don't have to kneel. Just scrape off whatever you can. As
long as there are no ridges you'll be fine.

The transition between the wood and ceramic is a bit off, how much
of a slant can the t-moldings take?

Can't help you on this one. My guess is if it looks good and feels
stable then it's OK.

Hmm, not sure if a vapor barrier is needed. Make sure to look at the
manufacurer's recommendations. Wood directly on concrete is generally
not good.

Definitely use a vapor barrier. I've seen enough moisture in even 30
yr old slabs to damage wood flooring. Most people use 6-8 mil
polyethylene sheeting, taped with seams sealed, then float the bamboo
flooring over that. Some old-timers swear by glueing heavy weight tar
paper to the concrete, then gluing the floor to the tar paper.

Regards
-Greg Pasquariello
Fair Pacific Bamboo
www.fairpacific.com