DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   drywall repair (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/121858-drywall-repair.html)

Patt September 18th 05 03:59 AM

drywall repair

I have a hole in a drywall wall to repair. It is about 2 inches wide and
about 6 inches long. The drywall is 5/8th thickness. Is the best way to
repair it, to fill the hole with mud and then put drywall tape over it?
Then sand and add more mud as needed? Or should I try to put a piece of
drywall in the hole first?
Patt

Greg O September 18th 05 04:15 AM

"Patt" wrote in message
I have a hole in a drywall wall to repair. It is about 2 inches wide and
about 6 inches long. The drywall is 5/8th thickness. Is the best way to
repair it, to fill the hole with mud and then put drywall tape over it?
Then sand and add more mud as needed? Or should I try to put a piece of
drywall in the hole first?
Patt

Screw a stick to the inside of the hole to support the patch. Fill the hole
with a scrap of dry wall and put a coat of mud over it to just fill the
cracks. Remove the screws after the mud dries, the patch should hold on its
own. Then continue mudding, with taping over the joints.
Greg

Jeff Wisnia September 19th 05 04:35 AM

Greg O wrote:

"Patt" wrote in message

I have a hole in a drywall wall to repair. It is about 2 inches wide and
about 6 inches long. The drywall is 5/8th thickness. Is the best way to
repair it, to fill the hole with mud and then put drywall tape over it?
Then sand and add more mud as needed? Or should I try to put a piece of
drywall in the hole first?
Patt

Screw a stick to the inside of the hole to support the patch. Fill the hole
with a scrap of dry wall and put a coat of mud over it to just fill the
cracks. Remove the screws after the mud dries, the patch should hold on its
own. Then continue mudding, with taping over the joints.
Greg

Even easier than a stick are drywall repair clips, made for just that
kind of job:

http://www.improvementscatalog.com/h...air-Clips.html

or:

http://tinyurl.com/cjmyw