DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Staining on an asphalt roof (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/121835-staining-asphalt-roof.html)

Rob Reali September 17th 05 08:04 PM

Staining on an asphalt roof

Anyone know how to get staining off an asphalt shingled roof.

Not even sure where it's from, but I have an magnolia, a pecan, and an oak
in close proximity.

Rob
Norfolk, VA

Roger Taylor September 18th 05 06:36 AM

"Rob Reali" wrote in message
Anyone know how to get staining off an asphalt shingled roof.

Not even sure where it's from, but I have an magnolia, a pecan, and an oak
in close proximity.

If the roof is well shaded by the trees, it could be mold, mildew, or algae,
or a combination of the three. Increasing sunshine a bit and air circulation
would result from some tree pruning or removal, making for a more healthy
roof. Big box stores like Home Depot sell zinc compounds, such as Moss Out,
that will attack the stain. It is diluted with water, then applied with
hose-end sprayer or pump sprayer. Make sure that whatever you get, is not
going to damage the shingles.