Charlie S.

Default Super Glue alternative

Every few months I have a need for Super Glue for some general household
repair.

My problem is that once I puncture a hole in the tube, the glue eventually
hardens inside and I can't use it for the next repair. I always tighten the
tube up afterwards. Yet, it still is useless. (I buy the generic Staple's
type brands in packs of 3-4 so I don't have to run out every time.)

Is there a way to keep it from hardening or is there an alternative glue
that is just a good that I could use repeatedly without having the same
problem?

JustDave

"Charlie S." wrote in message
Every few months I have a need for Super Glue for some general household
repair.

My problem is that once I puncture a hole in the tube, the glue eventually
hardens inside and I can't use it for the next repair. I always tighten
the tube up afterwards. Yet, it still is useless. (I buy the generic
Staple's type brands in packs of 3-4 so I don't have to run out every
time.)

Is there a way to keep it from hardening or is there an alternative glue
that is just a good that I could use repeatedly without having the same
problem?

Keep it in the refrigerator.

JustDave

tom

Evac all the air before closing. Keep upright. Tom

Roger Taylor

"Charlie S." wrote in message
Every few months I have a need for Super Glue for some general household
repair.

My problem is that once I puncture a hole in the tube, the glue eventually
hardens inside and I can't use it for the next repair. I always tighten
the tube up afterwards. Yet, it still is useless. (I buy the generic
Staple's type brands in packs of 3-4 so I don't have to run out every
time.)

Is there a way to keep it from hardening or is there an alternative glue
that is just a good that I could use repeatedly without having the same
problem?

I never have had luck with bond strength of super glue, regardless of brand.
Epoxy works better for a larger range of repairs, and it lasts a very long
time without drying, since the setting agent is separate.. I keep both the
5-minute and the longer setting stronger versions of epoxy, and prefer the
screwtop tubes vs the hypodermics, which tend to leak and make a mess, and
are hard to control squeezing speed. Epoxies only take a minute to mix, as
well.

John McGaw

Charlie S. wrote:
Every few months I have a need for Super Glue for some general household
repair.

My problem is that once I puncture a hole in the tube, the glue eventually
hardens inside and I can't use it for the next repair. I always tighten the
tube up afterwards. Yet, it still is useless. (I buy the generic Staple's
type brands in packs of 3-4 so I don't have to run out every time.)

Is there a way to keep it from hardening or is there an alternative glue
that is just a good that I could use repeatedly without having the same
problem?

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/cg...n&key=280-0500
the glue in one of these stays good for years at a time as long as you
remember to close it up tightly. In addition the glue itself is far
superior in strength to the "tube" superglues. No wood turner would be
far from his/her CA.
--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]

JohnR66

"Charlie S." wrote in message
Every few months I have a need for Super Glue for some general household
repair.

My problem is that once I puncture a hole in the tube, the glue eventually
hardens inside and I can't use it for the next repair. I always tighten
the tube up afterwards. Yet, it still is useless. (I buy the generic
Staple's type brands in packs of 3-4 so I don't have to run out every
time.)

Is there a way to keep it from hardening or is there an alternative glue
that is just a good that I could use repeatedly without having the same
problem?

Cyanoacrylate glue uses water vapor in the air as the catalyst to start
polymerization (hardening). Some companies have a better cap system to keep
out the air better. Storing it in a cool, dry place, such as in the fridge
in a bag with silica gell beads should work.

I agree with the other poster. Epoxy is better although it is slower and
requires mixing.

Also, the materials being joined makes a difference. For example, many
plastics that are sensitive to (desolve in) solvents are best joined with
solvent cements.

John

Dan_Musicant

:
:My problem is that once I puncture a hole in the tube, the glue eventually
:hardens inside and I can't use it for the next repair. I always tighten the
:tube up afterwards. Yet, it still is useless. (I buy the generic Staple's
:type brands in packs of 3-4 so I don't have to run out every time.)
:
:Is there a way to keep it from hardening or is there an alternative glue
:that is just a good that I could use repeatedly without having the same
roblem?
I put mine in the refrigerator and that appears to work for years.

Mark

try this stuff

Cyanopoxy

www.coolchem.com

its expensive but works great

Mark

ameijers

"John McGaw" wrote in message
Charlie S. wrote:
Every few months I have a need for Super Glue for some general household
repair.

My problem is that once I puncture a hole in the tube, the glue

eventually
hardens inside and I can't use it for the next repair. I always tighten

the
tube up afterwards. Yet, it still is useless. (I buy the generic

Staple's
type brands in packs of 3-4 so I don't have to run out every time.)

Is there a way to keep it from hardening or is there an alternative glue
that is just a good that I could use repeatedly without having the same
problem?

I've had real good luck keeping it in the freezer, both the liquid and gel
types. Try to keep container sealed tight, w/o any trapped air in the
nozzle. Put it in a thick ziploc or similar, and remove as much air as
possible when sealing it. Then just chuck it in the freezer. Some brands,
you have to put the frozen baggie in your armpit a minute to get it up to
work temp.

aem sends...

Charlie S.

Every few months I have a need for Super Glue for some general household
repair.

My problem is that once I puncture a hole in the tube, the glue eventually
hardens inside and I can't use it for the next repair. I always tighten
the tube up afterwards. Yet, it still is useless. (I buy the generic
Staple's type brands in packs of 3-4 so I don't have to run out every
time.)

Is there a way to keep it from hardening or is there an alternative glue
that is just a good that I could use repeatedly without having the same
problem?

Thanks for all the advice.

I put the glue in the refrigerator and squeezed to the top removing all the
air. Seems 95% of these tubes are empty space.

Thanks for the epoxy tip. I tried it a number of years ago. Unfortunately,
I didn't have any luck with it. If I remember correctly, there were two
tubes. Possibly syringe like and I had to mix them together. Couldn't get
anything to stick. Maybe I was using it wrong. Tried it twice... same
result.

From looking at the Insta-Bond Dry Box Kit
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/cg...n&key=280-0500,
it looks like a feasible alterative to the epoxy. It only cost $20. The
coolchem idea seems like the best product on the market until I looked at
the price.... close to $50
http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl...11/ai_n8955753 for
the kit. I only need glue a couple times a year at most. This might be
over-kill.

After reading all the posts, it doesn't seem to matter if I freeze or
refrigerate. Refrigerating seems to make more sense as I wouldn't have to
thaw it out.

I do have a new problem. I need to glue (adhere) a vinyl tile back to the
horizontal part of one of the kitchen steps. Eventually, I am going to
replace the tile. I'm not sure superglue is the solution. This might be
one surface it may not work well with. Or, if it does, it may be overkill
as I want to be able take it off eventually. Ideally, duct tape would be
best. But, I don't want it to show. What would be a good substance to use?

Thanks for all the help!

Charlie S.

"Charlie S." wrote in message

[...]

From looking at the Insta-Bond Dry Box Kit
[...]

Ended up using thumb tacks for the tiles. Good enough for now and barely
visible.

Angrie.Woman

Charlie S. wrote:
Every few months I have a need for Super Glue for some general household
repair.

My problem is that once I puncture a hole in the tube, the glue eventually
hardens inside and I can't use it for the next repair. I always tighten
the tube up afterwards. Yet, it still is useless. (I buy the generic
Staple's type brands in packs of 3-4 so I don't have to run out every
time.)

The last Super Glue I bought came in a package of 4 or 5 single use
tubes instead of the one big tube. That has worked out well for us.

Sozoman

Hey Charlie,

I use Gorilla Glue effectively all the time for just about everything
and it doesn't dry up in the end of the tube like super glue. Try and
get some at Home depot, Ace, OPSH, Lowes or your local hardware store.
I think you will love all the things you can glue with it and it is
more versatile than super glue. It does take a few more minutes to dry,
but nothing bonds like it.

SozoMan

Charlie S. wrote:
Every few months I have a need for Super Glue for some general household
repair.

My problem is that once I puncture a hole in the tube, the glue eventually
hardens inside and I can't use it for the next repair. I always tighten
the tube up afterwards. Yet, it still is useless. (I buy the generic
Staple's type brands in packs of 3-4 so I don't have to run out every
time.)

Is there a way to keep it from hardening or is there an alternative glue
that is just a good that I could use repeatedly without having the same
problem?

Thanks for all the advice.

I put the glue in the refrigerator and squeezed to the top removing all the
air. Seems 95% of these tubes are empty space.

Yeah, the only drawback to the fridge is that sometimes they can be
quite humid inside, and as was pointed out, it's water vapor that
actually causes the glue to set. In a sealed container with either
commercial drier (like they sell for tool storage) or even someting
like rice in the fridge will keep for a long time. Or that system with
the jar and drier included that somebody posted a link to.

Thanks for the epoxy tip. I tried it a number of years ago. Unfortunately,
I didn't have any luck with it. If I remember correctly, there were two
tubes. Possibly syringe like and I had to mix them together. Couldn't get
anything to stick. Maybe I was using it wrong. Tried it twice... same
result.

From looking at the Insta-Bond Dry Box Kit
[...]

Stormin Mormon

Yes, and it's marketed as such. With some purple dye, sold to surgeons and
medical people.

--

Christopher A. Young
Do good work.

"z" wrote in message
ups.com...

And of course, for
gluing your skin to things. Probably make a decent emergency bandaid.

Super glue on a car dash Dave UK diy 12 March 1st 05 10:01 AM
ARTICLE: The Truth About Polyurethane Glue J T Woodworking 5 July 18th 04 11:06 PM
Glue Up - High Anxiety charlie b Woodworking 6 June 29th 04 03:19 AM
About Hot Hide Glue Lawrence L'Hote Woodworking 1 May 9th 04 03:43 AM
What glue is best to use for segmented turning? RonZ Woodturning 14 September 20th 03 05:15 AM