Old September 14th 05, 04:25 AM
Guy Scharf

Default How to cut heavy fence wire?

I am replacing the railings on a deck and plan to use heavy fence wire.
This is a welded wire, galvanized, very heavy guage. It doesn't bend
(much) and comes in 4' x 16' panels rather than rolls.

I need to make a lot of cuts to get smaller pieces to fit into the
railing.

What is the best way to cut this material? One seller recommended bolt
cutters. I suppose I could use a sawzall with a fine-toothed blade but
that sounds laborious. Another friend has recommended an angle
grinder.

What works well?

Thanks!

Guy

Old September 14th 05, 05:11 AM
George E. Cawthon

Guy Scharf wrote:
I am replacing the railings on a deck and plan to use heavy fence wire.
This is a welded wire, galvanized, very heavy guage. It doesn't bend
(much) and comes in 4' x 16' panels rather than rolls.

I need to make a lot of cuts to get smaller pieces to fit into the
railing.

What is the best way to cut this material? One seller recommended bolt
cutters. I suppose I could use a sawzall with a fine-toothed blade but
that sounds laborious. Another friend has recommended an angle
grinder.

What works well?

Thanks!

Guy

The obvious answer is a hack saw, a good blade
does it fast. But a bolt cutter does it a lot
faster. Get an 18" bolt cutter from Harbor
Freight ($7 when on sale). Fast and good for
anything upto 1/4." I've used it on wire 2x4"
fabric which I think is about 12 or 10 gauge and
you hardly know when you cut.

If you have somebody to help hold the stuff an
angle grinder would work very fast. Forget the
sawsall, even a hand hack saw will be easier for
one person.
Old September 14th 05, 02:04 PM
Edwin Pawlowski

"Guy Scharf" wrote in message
What is the best way to cut this material? One seller recommended bolt
cutters.

That's what I'd use.

Old September 14th 05, 05:58 PM
Tim Fischer

Bolt cutters would be quick, but leave sharp ends, which might need to be
ground down for safety/aesthetic reasons.

Forget the sawzall -- you'll go through a bazillion blades (been there/done
that, with rebar). Forget the hacksaw for the same reason.

You can get a metal-cutting blade for a skilsaw. Works well, but makes a
TON of sparks . Probably similar to the angle grinder, which I don't own.

-Tim

Old September 14th 05, 07:11 PM
Duane Bozarth

Guy Scharf wrote:

I am replacing the railings on a deck and plan to use heavy fence wire.
This is a welded wire, galvanized, very heavy guage. It doesn't bend
(much) and comes in 4' x 16' panels rather than rolls.

I need to make a lot of cuts to get smaller pieces to fit into the
railing.

What is the best way to cut this material? One seller recommended bolt
cutters. I suppose I could use a sawzall with a fine-toothed blade but
that sounds laborious. Another friend has recommended an angle
grinder.

What works well?

Why not listen to the guy who sells the material? He's got by far the
best choice listed. You don't say just what gage these panels
are--there are many different ones. If it's what we call "hog panels"
the bolt cutter is really the only practical way. If they're lighter, a
pair of fencing pliers w/ the notch wire cutters work well and are more
nimble.

Old September 14th 05, 08:02 PM
[email protected]

What is the best way to cut this material? One seller recommended bolt
cutters. I suppose I could use a sawzall with a fine-toothed blade but
that sounds laborious. Another friend has recommended an angle
grinder.

Get a pair of heavy dykes to cut the wire.

Old September 14th 05, 10:03 PM
Goedjn

I am replacing the railings on a deck and plan to use heavy fence wire.
This is a welded wire, galvanized, very heavy guage. It doesn't bend
(much) and comes in 4' x 16' panels rather than rolls.

I need to make a lot of cuts to get smaller pieces to fit into the
railing.

What is the best way to cut this material? One seller recommended bolt
cutters. I suppose I could use a sawzall with a fine-toothed blade but
that sounds laborious. Another friend has recommended an angle
grinder.

What works well?

Knipex Compact Bolt-cutters. They're the size of
regular wire-cutters, but double action like 3' bolt cutters
(aka, "keys")
http://www.knipex.de/index.php?id=78...ukat=schneid10

Fence pliers good if you've got the hand-strength to work them,
because you can bend and twist with them too, but I've never
seen any with the compound hinge that makes the Knipex so much
fun to cut with.

--Goedjn

Old September 16th 05, 03:52 AM
[email protected]

G Henslee wrote:
wrote:

Get a pair of heavy dykes to cut the wire.

Now there's an idea. I understand that AMUN rents his wife and daughter
out for this very thing. You can just sit back and watch.

Sorry, meant "dikes", as in electrical. Worked for me.