DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Garage door jamb gaps (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/120851-garage-door-jamb-gaps.html)

User Example September 8th 05 01:51 AM

Garage door jamb gaps

The jambs around my garage doors are angled in at the bottom so that
there is very little wood touching the ground. Seems like a good idea
to prevent it from getting wet and rotting. However, it leaves a 1" or
so gap at the very bottom it allows a lot of dirt and grass and mess to
blow in, especially when I blow off the driveway with the leave blower.
Has anyone figured out any nice ideas how to seal this hole?

[email protected] September 8th 05 03:35 AM

Do you mean that the wood trim is beveled in at the bottom ?

Rich September 8th 05 03:53 AM

"User Example" wrote in message
m...
The jambs around my garage doors are angled in at the bottom so that there
is very little wood touching the ground. Seems like a good idea to
prevent it from getting wet and rotting. However, it leaves a 1" or so
gap at the very bottom it allows a lot of dirt and grass and mess to blow
in, especially when I blow off the driveway with the leave blower. Has
anyone figured out any nice ideas how to seal this hole?

http://www.garagedoorsupply.com/bottom-seal.html and
http://www.garagedoorsupply.com/stormshield.html

Rich

User Example September 8th 05 03:59 AM

wrote:
Do you mean that the wood trim is beveled in at the bottom ?

Yes. The bottom 1.5" is beveled. Here is an image if it helps. This
is the bottom of the wood as you look at it from the front. The garage
door would be on the right of this. The left side is butted up against
the bricks.

| |
| |

User Example September 8th 05 04:01 AM

Rich wrote:
"User Example" wrote in message
m...

The jambs around my garage doors are angled in at the bottom so that there
is very little wood touching the ground. Seems like a good idea to
prevent it from getting wet and rotting. However, it leaves a 1" or so
gap at the very bottom it allows a lot of dirt and grass and mess to blow
in, especially when I blow off the driveway with the leave blower. Has
anyone figured out any nice ideas how to seal this hole?

http://www.garagedoorsupply.com/bottom-seal.html and
http://www.garagedoorsupply.com/stormshield.html

Rich

Thanks for the links. But those seals aren't my problem. The door
bottom to floor seals fine. It is the sides at the very bottom of the
door that leak due to the beveled in door jambs.

Rich September 8th 05 04:46 AM

Remove the garage door if the "2 x" the track is mounted to is fastened to
the jambs, change the jambs, put back together. It's not as hard or as
complicated as it looks.

User Example September 8th 05 01:25 PM

I had considered that actually. I had thought about using the fake
plastic wood used on decks and benches to be water proof but I couldn't
find the size I need in it. Would pressure treated wood be a good
substitute?

Rich wrote:

.com...