DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   What to look for in Used Dishwasher? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/120404-what-look-used-dishwasher.html)

bryanska September 6th 05 08:25 PM

What to look for in Used Dishwasher?

Hello, I am scouring Craigslist in MPLS/St. Paul for a good midrange
used dishwasher less than 5 years old.

When I go to look at them, are there any red flags that tell me THIS IS
A DISHWASHER TO AVOID?

Any help appreciated.

G Henslee September 6th 05 08:29 PM

bryanska wrote:
Hello, I am scouring Craigslist in MPLS/St. Paul for a good midrange
used dishwasher less than 5 years old.

When I go to look at them, are there any red flags that tell me THIS IS
A DISHWASHER TO AVOID?

Any help appreciated.

I would question why a less than five year old d/w is for sale in the
first place. Good luck finding one.

--
WARNING:

Do NOT under any circumstances take advice from an idiot named AMUN.

AMUN is a clueless moron regarding tile, electrical and various other
construction issues. As things go AMUN will (thankfully) dissapear
as his kind usually does when confronted with their bad advice by
those who are knowledgeable in their respective fields.

Savvy 1 September 6th 05 08:34 PM

"bryanska" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello, I am scouring Craigslist in MPLS/St. Paul for a good midrange
used dishwasher less than 5 years old.

When I go to look at them, are there any red flags that tell me THIS IS
A DISHWASHER TO AVOID?

Any help appreciated.

There are only two reasons why people replace a dishwasher:
1. It's sick/not working right/DOA
2. Better half has ordered a kitchen redo

That being the case, unless you see *major* kitchen refurbishing going on,
walk away from the dishwasher ;-)

S1

bryanska September 6th 05 08:35 PM

I would question why a less than five year old d/w is for sale in the
first place. Good luck finding one.

I see two of them on MPLS C-list right now. Both are results of rich
people remodeling willy-nilly, and they are the ones I am checking out.

I get lots of my stuff from rich people. $3200 Precor elliptical for
$500. Just closed on a 3-yr old Kenmore Elite washer, originally $520,
paid $125.

Joseph Meehan September 6th 05 09:03 PM

Laundered money?

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Amun September 6th 05 09:07 PM

"bryanska" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello, I am scouring Craigslist in MPLS/St. Paul for a good midrange
used dishwasher less than 5 years old.

When I go to look at them, are there any red flags that tell me THIS IS
A DISHWASHER TO AVOID?

Any help appreciated.

Unless you are buying it from a friend you can trust.
Or where you know its not been abused.
e.g. a builder who installed a new one, but the buyers wanted an upgrade, so
it's not "new" but never used with a full warranty.

Or simply don't care
e.g. it's for a rental unit where the tenants likely will destroy it anyway

I would stick to new ones, for the bit you might save.
There is not much to break but they can still be expensive to repair

AMUN

"Who refuses to pay Henlee for the free advertising"

bryanska September 6th 05 09:28 PM

So nobody can tell me any red flags?

G Henslee September 6th 05 09:43 PM

bryanska wrote:
So nobody can tell me any red flags?

One: The door is missing.

--
WARNING:

Do NOT under any circumstances take advice from an idiot named AMUN.

AMUN is a clueless moron regarding tile, electrical and various other
construction issues. As things go AMUN will (thankfully) dissapear
as his kind usually does when confronted with their bad advice by
those who are knowledgeable in their respective fields.
Until then - BEWARE

Amun September 6th 05 10:14 PM

"G Henslee" wrote in message
bryanska wrote:
So nobody can tell me any red flags?

One: The door is missing.

--
WARNING:

Do NOT under any circumstances take advice from an idiot named AMUN.

AMUN is a clueless moron regarding tile, electrical and various other
construction issues. As things go AMUN will (thankfully) dissapear
as his kind usually does when confronted with their bad advice by
those who are knowledgeable in their respective fields.
Until then - BEWARE

Ah, yes, another helpful home tip.
From the git with the rapier wit.

AMUN

Edwin Pawlowski September 7th 05 12:24 AM

"bryanska" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello, I am scouring Craigslist in MPLS/St. Paul for a good midrange
used dishwasher less than 5 years old.

When I go to look at them, are there any red flags that tell me THIS IS
A DISHWASHER TO AVOID?

Any help appreciated.

Bad gasket. Other parts are not easily found out until it is hooked up and
running. If it is more than 5 years old, it could be crap if it is a
cheaper brand.

L. M. Rappaport September 7th 05 03:20 PM

On 6 Sep 2005 12:25:33 -0700, "bryanska"
wrote (with possible editing):

Hello, I am scouring Craigslist in MPLS/St. Paul for a good midrange
used dishwasher less than 5 years old.

When I go to look at them, are there any red flags that tell me THIS IS
A DISHWASHER TO AVOID?

Any help appreciated.

Well, perhaps I can help. I have a used dishwasher which I'd love to
get rid of. It's a top-of-the-line Kitchen Aid and was bought about 5
years ago to replace a 20 year old Kitchen Aid that worked fine.
Really dumb mistake. Kitchen Aid was bought by someone - Whirlpool? -
and the service REALLY STINKS. It started overheating; i.e., the
water was way too hot. Probably just a thermostat. I called the
outfit I bought it from (a total of FOUR times) and they never showed
up. Then I called Kitchen Aid - they refused to help and suggested I
called a different service place. I called them, they did show up,
looked at it, said they'd get back to me and never did. Eventually, I
gave up and bought a Bosch which is quiet, and has run perfectly for
over a year. I still have the old KA, paid around $1100 for it, now
can't sell it for $100 and will probably take it to the dump.

So, the long and the short of it is don't buy Kitchen Aid. It
certainly used to be the best, but I don't think it is anymore.
--

Larry

--

Larry
Email to rapp at lmr dot com

Rudy September 8th 05 05:44 AM

So, the long and the short of it is don't buy Kitchen Aid. It
certainly used to be the best, but I don't think it is anymore.

Thats a shame. Our last TWO KA d/w are still running flawlessly.