Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Toller

Default How difficult is this "reconstruction"?

My basement workshop is 10' x 30'. My wife suggested (yeh, really!) that I
enlarge it by moving the wall over. It is a simple partition wall, but
unfortunately it can only go over 2' before hitting a window. Still, that
extra two feet would be wonderful.
I don't know anything about construction, and wonder if it is worth the
effort.
The room I would be going into has cheap carpeting, cheap paneling, and a
drop ceiling. There is one air return and a few electrical outlets; but
everything would be made shorter, so redoing those should not be a big deal.
I see the drop ceiling as the major problem, but have never actually worked
on one, so don't really know.
A friend assured me he would be glad to help, and it is all very simple.
However, he thinks everything is very simple, and occasionally gets in way
over his head. Concrete floor, wood frame.

So, just how hard would it be to tear out the old wall, redo the drop
ceiling, and put up a new paneled wall? Am I like to be able to reuse any
of the materials, or is that all scrap?