DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Large mouse from neighbors yard. (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/119330-large-mouse-neighbors-yard.html)

Sam Nickaby August 31st 05 02:24 PM

Large mouse from neighbors yard.

There is a chaining fence behind the shed in the backyard that is a
porthole for large mouse. I can identify that the rats are coming from
there because the grasses are dying from mouse foot stomps and
shades. What is the best deterrent to keep the mouse out?

Thanks

Goedjn August 31st 05 05:08 PM

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 06:37:44 -0700, "Bill"
wrote:

Cat...

Weasle.

C & M August 31st 05 05:30 PM

Duane is right about the D-Con but you need to keep it inaccessable to
neighborhood cats, dogs and kids. Rats love enclosures so make a box that
you can securely place the bait and a small entry on the side. A little
talcum powder in the area will tell you if they have been there.

Duane Bozarth August 31st 05 06:42 PM

C & M wrote:

Duane is right about the D-Con but you need to keep it inaccessable to
neighborhood cats, dogs and kids. ...

The packages are so designed...

Duane Bozarth August 31st 05 06:43 PM

Goedjn wrote:

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 06:37:44 -0700, "Bill"
wrote:

Cat...

Weasle.

That would be weasel, I think?

Lar August 31st 05 06:55 PM

In article ,
says...
:) C & M wrote:
:)
:) Duane is right about the D-Con but you need to keep it inaccessable to
:) neighborhood cats, dogs and kids. ...
:)
:) The packages are so designed...
:)
I would hardly call a d-con package designed to keep out non target
animals. You should be able to find a bait station at lowes/home depot
type store for bait placement.
--
Lar

to email....get rid of the BUGS

Lar August 31st 05 10:00 PM

In article ,
says...
:) Someone recently told me to pour diesel fuel in the hole, because I
:) have rats in my barn, and can not use poison around livestock, and
:) have cats too. I have not tried it yet, but plan to.
:)
:)
Just curious as to why you would pass a proven legal means of rodent
control to go way of illegal usage of diesel. Snap traps would be
another way of population reduction for you.
--
Lar

to email....get rid of the BUGS

Duane Bozarth September 1st 05 01:05 AM

Lar wrote:

In article ,
says...
:) C & M wrote:
:)
:) Duane is right about the D-Con but you need to keep it inaccessable to
:) neighborhood cats, dogs and kids. ...
:)
:) The packages are so designed...
:)
I would hardly call a d-con package designed to keep out non target
animals. You should be able to find a bait station at lowes/home depot
type store for bait placement.

You call it what you want...never had anything else take it in 30+
years...

Lar September 1st 05 03:43 AM

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 19:05:41 -0500, Duane Bozarth
wrote:

:) Lar wrote:
:)
:) In article ,
:) says...
:) :) C & M wrote:
:) :)
:) :) Duane is right about the D-Con but you need to keep it inaccessable to
:) :) neighborhood cats, dogs and kids. ...
:) :)
:) :) The packages are so designed...
:) :)
:) I would hardly call a d-con package designed to keep out non target
:) animals. You should be able to find a bait station at lowes/home depot
:) type store for bait placement.
:)
:) You call it what you want...never had anything else take it in 30+
:) years...

how would you have any idea what may have fed on the bait then
flew/crawled off and died. :)

Lar. (to e-mail, get rid of the BUGS!!

Dancing dog is back!
http://media.ebaumsworld.com/smartdog.wmv

Dan C September 1st 05 12:47 PM

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 23:58:56 -0500, maradcliff wrote:

inside. I am not going to dump a 55 gallon barrel of diesel, just a
quart or so.

Oh, so a "little bit" of environmental pollution / damage is OK?

Linux Registered User #327951

Duane Bozarth September 1st 05 01:19 PM

Lar wrote:

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 19:05:41 -0500, Duane Bozarth
wrote:

:) Lar wrote:
:)
:) In article ,
:) says...
:) :) C & M wrote:
:) :)
:) :) Duane is right about the D-Con but you need to keep it inaccessable to
:) :) neighborhood cats, dogs and kids. ...
:) :)
:) :) The packages are so designed...
:) :)
:) I would hardly call a d-con package designed to keep out non target
:) animals. You should be able to find a bait station at lowes/home depot
:) type store for bait placement.
:)
:) You call it what you want...never had anything else take it in 30+
:) years...

how would you have any idea what may have fed on the bait then
flew/crawled off and died. :)

No dogs nor cats or other animals of note have been missing, primarily.

One does assume some common sense where one places it/them...

Lar September 1st 05 02:16 PM

In article ,
says...
:) On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 16:00:34 -0500, Lar
:) wrote:
:)
:) In article ,
:) says...
:) :) Someone recently told me to pour diesel fuel in the hole, because I
:) :) have rats in my barn, and can not use poison around livestock, and
:) :) have cats too. I have not tried it yet, but plan to.
:) :)
:) :)
:) Just curious as to why you would pass a proven legal means of rodent
:) control to go way of illegal usage of diesel. Snap traps would be
:) another way of population reduction for you.
:)
:) I use the snap traps outdoors, but the rodents dig under the wall from
:) the inside. Snaptraps dont work when there are horses running around
:) inside. I am not going to dump a 55 gallon barrel of diesel, just a
:) quart or so.
:)

Though there would be additional cost using a pro, there would be ways
to treat the pests near the animals. You might try to hunt down some
bait stations that could be adapted for snap trap usage so that using
them around the livestock could be an option.
--
Lar

to email....get rid of the BUGS

Duane Bozarth September 1st 05 05:51 PM

wrote:

On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 07:19:59 -0500, Duane Bozarth
wrote:

how would you have any idea what may have fed on the bait then
flew/crawled off and died. :)

No dogs nor cats or other animals of note have been missing, primarily.

When I decide it is time to thin out the rodent population around my
house I use a live trap. Then you have the opportunity to see what you
are killing and let the "good guys" go.

Have at it...this is a farm, not a domestic residence. I've never seen
any evidence that any pet is the least interested nor has ever bothered
a container and no indication whatsoever that any "good guys" are,
either. As noted, I do use a modicum of common sense as to where they
are placed (as I would assume anyone using one would although I know
that seems to be a pretty rare commodity these days :( ).

Sam Nickaby September 3rd 05 12:35 AM

wrote in message

Someone recently told me to pour diesel fuel in the hole, because I
have rats in my barn, and can not use poison around livestock, and
have cats too. I have not tried it yet, but plan to.
Of course you could always catch it, put a modular plug on it's tail
and use it for a computer mouse :)
Is it a rat or a mouse?

It could be both. There are two cats that visit the rear of the shed
everyday that are not ours and I have placed a small mouse trap in
the area and caught nothing. The cats could be get hurt from the trap.

The rat or mouse moves so fast to see what it is and now has
dug up some soil. Some mice are showing up in our bed room
under the ground, we've caught a few mice. This is a house with a
concrete foundation slap. Don't know how they could chew thru
concrete.

Thanks to everyone for ideas.