Tennessee Tony

Default Concrete vs. Cement.... again

Lets say my brother in law, yep definitely my brother in law, not me, I
wasn't even there.....

While he was making a footer or base for a porch support, he grabbed a
bag of "Dixie Type N Masonry Cement" instead of the "quickcrete".
Poured some cement and water into the hole a little at a time and mixed
well, (also adding stone and small rocks, but no sand or lime). This
seems to be curing quite slow. It has been kept wet, actually it was
covered with a pool of water, but it's not "green" at all like I'm used
to seeing with concrete. 20 hours later it is set up but just rubbing
my finger on it will easily cause it to wear away. Small dry splatters
can be ground up to dust in my fingers.

The porch itself has supports but in between it is developing some
sagging, hence the extra support. So in the worst case, it's not like
it's going to fall. So, is this going to be worth using or do I dig it
out and redo it? The 4x4 is not in the cement, I planned on using the
metal "feet" so it stays dryer.

I happen to have a few more bags of the same type of cement left here
from the old owner. When using it for something like this, how much of
what should I add to make concrete? (it was being used to make mortar
for a block wall and/or stucco)

Thanks, my "brother in law" appreciates your guidance.

Tony

Joseph Meehan

Tennessee Tony wrote:
[...]

News==---- http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the
World! 120,000+ Newsgroups ----= East and West-Coast Server Farms -
Total Privacy via Encryption =----

How old was the stuff and how has it been stored. I suspect it is now
worthless.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Tennessee Tony

Joseph Meehan wrote:
Tennessee Tony wrote:

[...]

It is probably 2 years old and stored in the crawlspace. The crawlspace
is dry, the floor is all concrete and the bags of cement where on
pallets, but I guess it's still too damp.

Now what do I do with the other 5 bags????????

Tony
Tennessee Tony

pe wrote:
On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 15:35:49 -0400, Tennessee Tony
wrote:

[...]

Too much water.
It will eventually cure but it might not be super strong.
Mortar mix has added lime (also slows the cure) so it will be weaker than
regular Portland.
Any concrete ready mix can go bad and lose strength over time, especially if it
can get damp.

I think that is the problem. It's been in a crawlspace for some time.

Don't be a cheap ******* and buy yourself a $8 bag of Portland and add a part or
two of that to four or five parts of your bags of old product.

The less water you use the stronger the concrete. If it runs off the shovel you
used way too much water.

It didn't run off the shovel, it was thick. (The pool of water came
hours after it should have been cured.)

Thanks,
Tony
Doug Miller

In article , Tennessee Tony wrote:

I think that is the problem. It's been in a crawlspace for some time.

Then throw it away. It isn't any good.

--
Regards,

Doug Miller

In article , Tennessee Tony wrote:

It is probably 2 years old and stored in the crawlspace. The crawlspace
is dry, the floor is all concrete and the bags of cement where on
pallets, but I guess it's still too damp.

Now what do I do with the other 5 bags????????

Landfill.

--
Regards,

How to make new concrete attach to old concrete JW Home Repair 8 June 27th 04 08:44 AM
How to make new concrete attach to old concrete JW Home Ownership 8 June 27th 04 08:44 AM
Repairing concrete floor in shop Todd Fatheree Woodworking 10 June 3rd 04 08:18 AM
Laying Concrete Flooring John UK diy 5 September 24th 03 07:15 AM
Help with concrete! Alexander Galkin Home Repair 4 August 16th 03 04:40 AM