Suzie-Q

Default The smell of sewage

Lately I've begun to smell sewage in one of my bathrooms. Of course
I know that I'll have to call a plumber. What I'd like from
you, though, is ideas about what might be causing it and whether it
might be a high-priced or low-priced fix. I will call a plumber, but
I need to know about how much money I should have available before I
do so! (I've had two high-priced car repairs that have put me in the
red for a short time.) I know this is a very general question, but I
hope someone can do some educated speculation for me.

FYI, I've quit using the offending toilet for now.

Thanks in advance,
--
8^)~~~ Sue (remove the x to e-mail)
~~~~~~

http://www.suzanne-eckhardt.com/
http://www.intergnat.com/malebashing/
http://www.intergnat.com/pussygames/
Joseph Meehan

Suzie-Q wrote:
Lately I've begun to smell sewage in one of my bathrooms. Of course
I know that I'll have to call a plumber. What I'd like from
you, though, is ideas about what might be causing it and whether it
might be a high-priced or low-priced fix. I will call a plumber, but
I need to know about how much money I should have available before I
do so! (I've had two high-priced car repairs that have put me in the
red for a short time.) I know this is a very general question, but I
hope someone can do some educated speculation for me.

FYI, I've quit using the offending toilet for now.

Thanks in advance,

A large part of the cost is going to be the house call. Likely any fix
will be cheap.

Have you had some high winds about the time it started? If so just
running water in all the sinks and flushing all the toilets might take care
of it. My guess is the toilet may have a bad wax seal, or you may have a
blocked vent.

There is always possible that one of those simple jobs turns into a big
job however.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

User Example

Suzie-Q wrote:
Lately I've begun to smell sewage in one of my bathrooms. Of course

First make sure noone in your house is going to the bathroom right
before you. That could cause a sewage smell in the bathroom.

If not that, it has to be some kind of back flow from the sewer. Is
your toilet trap staying full of water? A vacuum in the sewer system
can suck the water out and make stinkies. Same for the sink.
Dave

I had a smell in one of my bathrooms. It was a bath room I hardly used. What
I discovered was that the water in the sink and shower traps had dried out,
so from then on I run water occasionally in each to fill up the traps, now I
don't have that problem anymore. Could that be your problem too?

"User Example" wrote in message
.. .
Suzie-Q wrote:
Lately I've begun to smell sewage in one of my bathrooms. Of course

First make sure noone in your house is going to the bathroom right
before you. That could cause a sewage smell in the bathroom.

If not that, it has to be some kind of back flow from the sewer. Is
your toilet trap staying full of water? A vacuum in the sewer system
can suck the water out and make stinkies. Same for the sink.

Tony Hwang

Suzie-Q wrote:
Lately I've begun to smell sewage in one of my bathrooms. Of course
I know that I'll have to call a plumber. What I'd like from
you, though, is ideas about what might be causing it and whether it
might be a high-priced or low-priced fix. I will call a plumber, but
I need to know about how much money I should have available before I
do so! (I've had two high-priced car repairs that have put me in the
red for a short time.) I know this is a very general question, but I
hope someone can do some educated speculation for me.

FYI, I've quit using the offending toilet for now.

Thanks in advance,

Hi,
P trap is dry or vent stack is plugged or blocked?
Tony

Norminn

Dave wrote:
I had a smell in one of my bathrooms. It was a bath room I hardly used. What
I discovered was that the water in the sink and shower traps had dried out,
so from then on I run water occasionally in each to fill up the traps, now I
don't have that problem anymore. Could that be your problem too?

I've had the same experience. Absolutely nothing wrong with sewer line,
no slowing or backup. Just have to remember to run some water in the
guest bath now and then.

C & M

Have someone go up on the roof and push a running garden hose down the vents
stacks to push any obstruction and flush it at the same time. Did this once
many years ago with good success.

On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 13:46:00 GMT, "Dave" wrote:

I had a smell in one of my bathrooms. It was a bath room I hardly used. What
I discovered was that the water in the sink and shower traps had dried out,
so from then on I run water occasionally in each to fill up the traps,

a couple tablespoons of vegtable oil in the drains after filling the
traps will reduce evaporation - good for vacation or seldom used
areas.

oren
excused from saving Universes."
Terry

"C & M" wrote in message
Have someone go up on the roof and push a running garden hose down the
vents
stacks to push any obstruction and flush it at the same time. Did this
once
many years ago with good success.

e.g. bird's nest fell down vent stack pipe?

Also; we suspected slightly rocking toilet for recent smell in our bathroom,
although it is foam rubber not a wax seal. However smell was due build up
of brown grunge in the wash sink over flow. Don't know why, but it did.
Pushed a piece of that spirally/flexible curtain hanger wire up and down the
overflow slot in the sink to dislodge, flushed with hot water etc. few
teaspoons of 'Javex' etc.
Wasn't the toilet at all! Now properly chocked.

nospambob

Couple of recent posts cite overflow in sink as culprit. Bleach
cured.