Jason

Default Common question regarding thermostat

Hi guys,

I'm in need of some help.

I just bought a Robertshaw 9851i programmable thermostats (any comments?)
and I'm not quite sure how to connect everything. My current thermostat
uses the following wires:

Rh - Heat Transformer
Rc - Cool transformer
Y - Cooling Control
W - Heating Control
G - Fan control relay
O - Cool active reversing valve
B - Heat active reversing valve

The new one I just bought has these:

C - 24 VAC Common
R - 24 VAC transformer
G - Fan relay
Y1 - Cooling Relay
B - Heat active reversing valve
W1 - Heating Relay
O - Cool active reversing valve
H - Humidity relay
D - Dehumidity relay

The only thing I'm confused about is the "C" and the "R". Where do I
connect my former Heat Transformer ("Rh") to? The C or the R? Would the Rc
go to the C? I'm just not sure because their names don't correspond and I
don't want to risk anything.

A black wire is connected to RC on the thermostat and the a red wire is
connected to RH on the thermostat.

I went and checked the furnace and both the RED and BLACK wires are
connected to "R". Does that I connect the black and red wires to "R" on the
new thermostat?

Am I way off?? Any help would be much appreciated. I've done lots of
research on the internet, but I'm getting a little confused.

Thanks in advance,

Jason

PrecisionMachinisT

http://www.hometech.com/learn/hvac.html

--

SVL

Paddlepop

The 24V Active (single transformer) RH + RC goes to R ) C goes to the
common on the transformer. There should be no connection to R - RH - RC (
There is no terminal for C on your old thermostat so locate the wire at the
transformer
"Jason" wrote in message
[...]

Paddlepop

Just as an after thought, there is no COMMON wire connected to any terminal
on your old thermostat. So if you are absolutely sure that the RED wire was
RH and the BLACK wire RC and that you have a single transformer and these
two wires were bridged Then one of these two wires can be disconnected from
the transformer ACTIVE and connected to common SAY THE BLACK WIRE this wire
can then be connected to C on the new thermostat. The wiring would then be
RED wire R transformer to R new thermostat and BLACK wire common transformer
to C on the new thermostat
"Jason" wrote in message
[...]

Jason

I was just thinking if that'd be possible... thanks man, you've been a great
help.

Really appreciate it.

"Jason" wrote in message
[...]

PrecisionMachinisT

"Jason" wrote in message
"PrecisionMachinisT" wrote in message

http://www.hometech.com/learn/hvac.html

Sweet, thanks!

A) Take the black wire loose from 'R' at the air handler, because only the
red wire needs to be connected to 'R' there.

B) Now use this black wire to pass 'C' to the thermostat instead......if
there's no C terminal at the air handler then you need to connect it to the
transformer lead that is opposite R

( though C is probably not absolutely needed at the thermostat, without it
you will likely get poor battery life and /or none of the led indicator
lights will work )

HTH

--

SVL

Stormin Mormon

Abandon the black wire. Fold it back, and wrap it around the wire bundle.

Connect the red wire from R to RH on the thermostat. Leave the small jumper
wire from RH to RC.

--

Christopher A. Young
Do good work.

"Jason" wrote in message
[...]

Jason

Actually, I just realized...

There's only an R on the new thermostat ... so I wouldn't need a jumper
anyways.

So do you still think that I should just fold back the black wire and be
done with it? I'd still connect the R from the furnace (red wire) to the R
on the new thermostat.

"Jason" wrote in message
[...]

PrecisionMachinisT

"Jason" wrote in message
[...]

You idiot......if you can't give accurate advice then SHUT THE **** UP !!!

There is no 'jumper' and there's also no 'RH' terminal on his new
thermostat........

Also, he really should run "C" from the AHU out to the new thermostat--while
many stats don't actually NEED that connection, there are some that
absolutely do....otherwise, at the very least he will get poor battery life,
and any led indicator lights on the new thermostat will fail to work...

--

SVL

RP

Jason wrote:
Actually, I just realized...

There's only an R on the new thermostat ... so I wouldn't need a jumper
anyways.

So do you still think that I should just fold back the black wire and be
done with it? I'd still connect the R from the furnace (red wire) to the R
on the new thermostat.

If I were you I'd get a second opinion.

hvacrmedic

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to PrecisionMachinisT, Phillip M. Feldman wrote:
http://www.hometech.com/learn/hvac.html

This is a bad link.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...tat-25738-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, May 3, 2020 at 2:44:05 PM UTC-4, Phillip M. Feldman wrote:
replying to PrecisionMachinisT, Phillip M. Feldman wrote:
http://www.hometech.com/learn/hvac.html

This is a bad link.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...tat-25738-.htm

I can't imagine why a link on a 15 year old post no longer works.
Do you by chance have the phone number for Packard Motors?