AKA gray asphalt

Default Thermostat

Would it be worth it to buy a $100 Honeywell
thermostat for my house? I've got a cheap one.

RBM

Hard to answer a rhetorical question but, it might be worth it if you are
not happy with the one you have now. There are other companies that may be a
little less expensive like White - Rogers and Robertshaw

"AKA gray asphalt" wrote in message
Would it be worth it to buy a $100 Honeywell
thermostat for my house? I've got a cheap one.

AKA gray asphalt

I'm pretty unschooled about this kind of thing. Maybe I was
convinced by a salesman ... that it would save me money in
the dessert: cold winters and hot summers and that the stat
wouldn't be going on and off as much ... I really can't imagine
how it could help and what advantage a complicate one might
have. It was the ability to program it cool the house before I
get home while leaving it a little warmer while nobody was
there.

"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in message ...
Hard to answer a rhetorical question but, it might be worth it if you are not happy with the one you have now. There are other
companies that may be a little less expensive like White - Rogers and Robertshaw

"AKA gray asphalt" wrote in message news:EHqPe.4981$ct5.907@fed1read04...
Would it be worth it to buy a $100 Honeywell
thermostat for my house? I've got a cheap one.

Dan C

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 14:25:59 -0700, AKA gray asphalt wrote:

Would it be worth it to buy a $100 Honeywell
thermostat for my house? I've got a cheap one.

How the **** would we know? Define "worth it".

Linux Registered User #327951

RBM

If you have a set pattern for when people are in and out of the house, a
seven day programmable thermostat could save you money, although if you are
diligent about raising and lowering your manual thermostat as you come and
go, that'll work too. As I said, other companies make this type of
thermostat and tend to be less expensive than Honeywell

I'm pretty unschooled about this kind of thing. Maybe I was
convinced by a salesman ... that it would save me money in
the dessert: cold winters and hot summers and that the stat
wouldn't be going on and off as much ... I really can't imagine
how it could help and what advantage a complicate one might
have. It was the ability to program it cool the house before I
get home while leaving it a little warmer while nobody was
there.

"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in message
Hard to answer a rhetorical question but, it might be worth it if you are
not happy with the one you have now. There are other companies that may
be a little less expensive like White - Rogers and Robertshaw

"AKA gray asphalt" wrote in message
Would it be worth it to buy a $100 Honeywell
thermostat for my house? I've got a cheap one.

SQLit

"AKA gray asphalt" wrote in message

I'm pretty unschooled about this kind of thing. Maybe I was
convinced by a salesman ... that it would save me money in
the dessert: cold winters and hot summers and that the stat
wouldn't be going on and off as much ... I really can't imagine
how it could help and what advantage a complicate one might
have. It was the ability to program it cool the house before I
get home while leaving it a little warmer while nobody was
there.

"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in message

Hard to answer a rhetorical question but, it might be worth it if you

are not happy with the one you have now. There are other
companies that may be a little less expensive like White - Rogers and

Robertshaw

Power company I am connected (Salt River Project) to basically says that if
you can raise the temp more than 5 degrees F you can save UP TO 10%. I did
paraphrase a tad. If your gone for a few days a lot it would help.

I have had set back t-stats for years. They seem to help. Check into X-10
they have a dial up modem that when connected to the t-stat (other parts
necessary) you can turn on the a/c from your phone. Or 3 other loads of your
choosing. My dogs really figured that one out. They would be wound up like
cheap watches when I got home. They figured out when the temp when down I
was coming home. And they call them dumb.....

Insulation is usually the best bet for saving money. I just had R-30 blown
into my home. Run times and off times are different by 20 %. If you have an
electric water heater a time clock is a real saver.

How long are you staying where you are will help answer the question.

stevie

I got one from Home Depot for about $50-60. Brand name was Lux, model
"Smart Temp 9000". Consumer Reports rated it as a really good one.

It is not a well known brand (at least I hadn't heard of it). But it has
been in my house for over 5 years and has really worked well.

"AKA gray asphalt" wrote in message
Would it be worth it to buy a $100 Honeywell
thermostat for my house? I've got a cheap one.

AKA gray asphalt

"SQLit" wrote in message ...

[...]

No plans on moving. Would Home Depot have water
heater timers. That sounds interesting too.

AKA gray asphalt

"Dan C" wrote in message news
On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 14:25:59 -0700, AKA gray asphalt wrote:

Would it be worth it to buy a $100 Honeywell
thermostat for my house? I've got a cheap one.

How the **** would we know? Define "worth it".

Linux Registered User #327951

Who is 'we'. You idiot.

AKA gray asphalt

"stevie" wrote in message ...
I got one from Home Depot for about $50-60. Brand name was Lux, model
"Smart Temp 9000". Consumer Reports rated it as a really good one.

It is not a well known brand (at least I hadn't heard of it). But it has
been in my house for over 5 years and has really worked well.

"AKA gray asphalt" wrote in message
Would it be worth it to buy a $100 Honeywell
thermostat for my house? I've got a cheap one.

Sounds like a plan. Thanks.

Carolina Breeze HVAC

"AKA gray asphalt" wrote in message
Would it be worth it to buy a $100 Honeywell
thermostat for my house? I've got a cheap one.

Depends...if you are getting one from Home Depot..no..LOL
Im in the biz, and have a $200 thermostat on my home..I like it, but that
does not mean you will.

Carolina Breeze HVAC

"AKA gray asphalt" wrote in message
newskwPe.5090$ct5.3021@fed1read04...

"stevie" wrote in message
I got one from Home Depot for about $50-60. Brand name was Lux, model
"Smart Temp 9000". Consumer Reports rated it as a really good one.

It is not a well known brand (at least I hadn't heard of it). But it has
been in my house for over 5 years and has really worked well.

"AKA gray asphalt" wrote in message
Would it be worth it to buy a $100 Honeywell
thermostat for my house? I've got a cheap one.

Sounds like a plan. Thanks.

Lux, rhymes with SUX and trust me....we replace a hundred of those POS stats
a year.
Look to Robertshaw, Honeywell, or White Rodgers, but for damn sure dont
throw good after bad wtih a Lux, or a Hunter stat.
Wait till you get one, that simply says.....I dont know what freaking temp
it is, and I dont care.LOL....

George E. Cawthon

AKA gray asphalt wrote:
Would it be worth it to buy a $100 Honeywell
thermostat for my house? I've got a cheap one.

It probably won't save you any money, or at least,
it will take a long while to pay off the $100
Honeywell.

If your current thermostat is the old round,
spring kind that lets the temperature fluctuate
several degrees, then get a modern digital one.
It will make your house much more comfortable;
mine made a huge difference in comfort when I
installed it. I've had mine for several years but
it cost only $34; I think current models sell as
low as $45.

You don't really need to spend $100. The kind
that anticipate the change in temp probably won't
do much for you. Mine has three times during
weekdays, and two times during weekends. Two
times for all days would be just fine.

Get a Honeywell.
Dr. Hardcrab

"stevie" wrote

I got one from Home Depot for about $50-60. Brand name was Lux, model
"Smart Temp 9000". Consumer Reports rated it as a really good one.

No offence, but: You have GOT to be sh*tting me! LUX??!!! In what catagory?
Models most likely to crap out within a month?

It's not that I don't believe you. It's just that I can't believe anyone
would rate them high for anything.

YMMV.......

It is not a well known brand (at least I hadn't heard of it). But it has
been in my house for over 5 years and has really worked well.

"AKA gray asphalt" wrote in message
Would it be worth it to buy a $100 Honeywell
thermostat for my house? I've got a cheap one.

Carolina Breeze HVAC

"Dr. Hardcrab" wrote in message

"stevie" wrote

I got one from Home Depot for about $50-60. Brand name was Lux, model
"Smart Temp 9000". Consumer Reports rated it as a really good one.

No offence, but: You have GOT to be sh*tting me! LUX??!!! In what
catagory? Models most likely to crap out within a month?

It's not that I don't believe you. It's just that I can't believe anyone
would rate them high for anything.

They did...think it was value for money or something like that...
They obviously ddint have it more than a month....

YMMV.......

It is not a well known brand (at least I hadn't heard of it). But it has
been in my house for over 5 years and has really worked well.

"AKA gray asphalt" wrote in message
Would it be worth it to buy a $100 Honeywell
thermostat for my house? I've got a cheap one.

Dan C

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 20:50:01 -0700, AKA gray asphalt wrote:

Would it be worth it to buy a $100 Honeywell
thermostat for my house? I've got a cheap one.

How the **** would we know? Define "worth it".

Who is 'we'. You idiot.

The people in the newsgroup, that you are asking the question to, dumbass.

Linux Registered User #327951

SQLit

"SQLit" wrote in message

[...]

Yes but Lowes has one that is substantially cheaper. CHECK the wiring
before you buy one. Some time clocks are 220 v timer motors and some like
the ones at Lowes are 120 v timer motors. You would need a 4 wire circuit
for the 120 v timer motor, only available in newer homes.

My last house I had the water heater on for 2 hours a day. When I washed or
had company I would just manually override the timer.

Choosing a set back stat has a lot to do with what you expect from it.
http://www.inlandescape.com/hunter-p...ermostats.html

I had one like the 260 old house

Currently I have

http://www.atlantasupply.com/thermos...te-rodgers.htm

One like the touch screen on the upper right.

Make sure that you know exactly what your a/c, heat system is before buying.
There are stats make that do not fit every situation.

AKA gray asphalt

"Dan C" wrote in message news
On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 20:50:01 -0700, AKA gray asphalt wrote:

Would it be worth it to buy a $100 Honeywell
thermostat for my house? I've got a cheap one.

How the **** would we know? Define "worth it".

Who is 'we'. You idiot.

The people in the newsgroup, that you are asking the question to, dumbass.

Linux Registered User #327951

Gee, how nice of you to speak for everyone.
You might restrict yourself to speaking out of
your singular dumb ass.