DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Hot water heater problem. (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/118414-re-hot-water-heater-problem.html)

Amun August 25th 05 08:32 PM

"BoB" wrote in message
Hi guys,
My hot water heater popped its reset button.
I reset the button and now it works fine.
New problem, When I try to unscrew the cover plate for the top
thermostat I'm getting sparks from the screwdriver to the screw.
What the hell is going on?
Loose connection?

Sound like one of the wires insulation is shorting.
(worn out/pinched)

FIRST, ....shut off the power before you go near it with a screwdriver.
most water heater are 220-240 and can easily knock you on your posterior,
especially if it's on a nice damp concrete basement floor

[email protected] August 25th 05 08:36 PM

Hot water heater problem.

Assuming this is not a troll (who knows?):

You've a large voltage difference where there should be none.

Life-threatening. You _must_ have felt a tingle.

I'd open the breaker, and not run heater again until properly repaired
by plumber/electrician.

You really don't want to go randomly punching resets on such high-power
devices.

TTFN,