stevie

Default treated lumber

Am I going nuts or is am I getting bad treated lumber? It seems that much
of the lumber that I have purchased lately (which is not a lot) warps more
easily than it used to. I purchased lumber from several different sources
(Lowes, Home Depot), but the wood still seems to warp.

What should I be looking for when I purchase treated lumber?

Thanks.

Duane Bozarth

stevie wrote:

Am I going nuts or is am I getting bad treated lumber? It seems that much
of the lumber that I have purchased lately (which is not a lot) warps more
easily than it used to. I purchased lumber from several different sources
(Lowes, Home Depot), but the wood still seems to warp.

What should I be looking for when I purchase treated lumber?

Tieing it down ASAP...I don't think treated is much worse than it has
ever been. There is a grade that is dried somewhat as opposed to not,
but it is much more expensive and almost never found at the Box
Store...
badgolferman

stevie, 8/25/2005, 1:24:26 PM, wrote:

Am I going nuts or is am I getting bad treated lumber? It seems that
much of the lumber that I have purchased lately (which is not a lot)
warps more easily than it used to. I purchased lumber from several
different sources (Lowes, Home Depot), but the wood still seems to
warp.

What should I be looking for when I purchase treated lumber?

Thanks.

You should be looking for a lumber yard. You can buy small amounts if
you wish.

--
"I miss. I miss. I miss. I make." -- Seve Ballesteros describing his
four-putt at Augusta's No. 16 in 1988.
siralfred

Yep, the box stores rarely have dry PT. Sometimes it's so fresh that
it feels moist to touch and has noticable extra weight. Try a
lumberyard and look for the stuff that's been there for a while. If
it's dry and the color has lightened a bit, and the boards/studs are
still straight you're in business.

Duane Bozarth

Duane Bozarth wrote:

...I don't think treated is much worse than it has ever been. ...

That for moisture/warping...it, like other framing lumber has gotten
much worse on the average for wane, knots, splits, undersized, etc., ...