DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Epoxy Pool Paint on Wood Porch? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/118224-epoxy-pool-paint-wood-porch.html)

coconino August 23rd 05 12:51 AM

Epoxy Pool Paint on Wood Porch?

We have a weathered wooden porch, on our 1925 home. We don't want to
replace the porch as it is still the original and very charming. The wood is
fine but badly weathered on top. It was suggested we brush all the loose
bits off and paint the wood with epoxy pool paint.

Do you think that will work?

Todd H. August 24th 05 05:15 PM

"coconino" writes:
We have a weathered wooden porch, on our 1925 home. We don't want to
replace the porch as it is still the original and very charming. The wood is
fine but badly weathered on top. It was suggested we brush all the loose
bits off and paint the wood with epoxy pool paint.

Do you think that will work?

Sounds expensive.

I'm wondering why an opaque wood stain wouldn't work.

Was the person suggesting this perhaps in the business of selling
paint? If so, I'd be officially suspicious.

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/

Goedjn September 4th 05 04:34 PM

We have a weathered wooden porch, on our 1925 home. We don't want to
replace the porch as it is still the original and very charming. The wood is
fine but badly weathered on top. It was suggested we brush all the loose
bits off and paint the wood with epoxy pool paint.

Do you think that will work?

Depending on what you mean by "badly weathered", you
probably want to use a penetrating epoxy, rather than pool paint,
like Abatron's wood-consolidant.
http://www.abatron.com/home002.htm

Expoxy pool paint will probably *WORK*, in that it will form
a fairly hard protective surface, and glue the top millimeter
or so together, but the purpose-designed product(s) will work
better.

If you're going to go the pool-paint route, I'd treat the wood
with some sort of boron-based preservative like timbor
http://www.doyourownpestcontrol.com/timbor.htm
first, lest the wood continue to rot out from under
the epoxy shell.

--Goedjn