DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Telephone Wiring (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/117378-telephone-wiring.html)

Max August 17th 05 12:47 PM

Telephone Wiring

This a question abbout telephone wiring on a UK phone system.

I used to have a BT phone in my house an this was connected directly to
the master phone socket using the cable that came with the phone. When
the house was re-floored they but this cable under the new wooden
floor. This cable worked OK with my old BT phone but wehn I connected a
new Cable and Wireless phone to this cable it would not work and I got
no dial tone. The new phone will work when I connect the new cable that
came with it directly to the socked but I want to find a way of using
the cable under the floor with my new phone if possible. This cabled
has two wires. I have tried reversing the poalrity of these to see if
this would make a difference but this has not worked. Does anybody know
of something that I can do to enable me to use my new phone with the
cable supplied with the older BT phone.

BTW the older phone is less than one year old.

Main Man August 17th 05 05:12 PM

http://www.wppltd.demon.co.uk/WPP/Wi...telephone.html

Beachcomber August 17th 05 05:33 PM

On 17 Aug 2005 09:12:46 -0700, "Main Man"
wrote:

http://www.wppltd.demon.co.uk/WPP/Wi...telephone.html

From a US resident not familiar with UK telephone wiring.

What is the advantage or purpose of having the ring capacitor external
to the phone and running 3 wires to each phone extension?

Just curious...

Beachcomber

Max August 18th 05 10:43 AM

Thanks for that. From reading this I thought that all I had to do was
use an extension box to swap the wires around. However, this does not
seem to have worked. Have you any idea why this might be ?