DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   ceiling fan wiring - relocate reverse switch? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/117370-ceiling-fan-wiring-relocate-reverse-switch.html)

[email protected] August 17th 05 01:24 AM

ceiling fan wiring - relocate reverse switch?

I'm installing a ceiling in a room with 17' ceiling.
The main purpose for the fan is to reduce energy consumption.
This will involve reversing fan direction from summer to winter.

I wouldn't beable to use the reverse switch on the fan.
Can I wire a switch somewhere that just reverves the current
flow to the fan/light assembly?

Thanks

[email protected] August 17th 05 01:41 AM

Here's a link to an Emerson univeral remote that says it includes
direction control:

http://www.fanworksoutlet.com/ct_PRemsr110.htm

There may be others as well. I think remotes are the way to go. They
make an install easy, as you just need to get 120V to the fan, no need
to route wires to a switch box.

John Grabowski August 17th 05 01:44 AM

I think the winter/summer reversing of the fan is a common fallacy.
Regardless of the direction of the turning blades, the warm and cool air in
the room get mixed together and prevent a build up of warm air on the
ceiling. If you like to feel a breeze and get some sort of wind chill then
have the blades blow the air down. If you don't want to feel a breeze, but
still want to prevent a build up of warm air on the ceiling then have the
fan blow the air upwards.

I have a 15' ceiling and keep my fan blowing down at medium speed 24/7 as I
have noticed that it keeps the upstairs from accumulating heat in winter and
summer. If someone wants more heat upstairs, I shut off the fan instead of
raising the thermostat and it gets warmer very quickly.

ups.com...