Laughing Rock

Default Best Stain For Fence?

I have a cedar fence that's one year old and needs sealed, stained or
something.

What's the best stuff to use?

LR

DAGS. Ask neighbors.

HTH,

meirman

In alt.home.repair on Mon, 15 Aug 2005 09:21:23 -0700 "Laughing Rock"
posted:

I have a cedar fence that's one year old and needs sealed, stained or
something.

I don't think cedar needs sealing. My next door neighbor's is 25
years old, and all it needed was a few pickets and two pieces of rail.

I have heard that the posts should be cut at an angle so the rain runs
off. What say you all? His posts were flat on top, and about a fifth
of them had some deterioration in the top. These were the ones that
never get any sunlight for several months a year.

I filled them with various mixtures of cedar mulch and outdoor glues,
then topped them off with glue and cedar sawdust I made when cutting
the pickets and rails. At 6 months they were doing well. It's 9
months, I should check again.

What's the best stuff to use?

LR

Meirman
--
If emailing, please let me know whether
or not you are posting the same letter.

I just ask the local paint/hardware store to see their
partials/returns/mistint/hazmat bin, and pick out a color range of oil
based stains that you like. Pay little or nothing, you are doing them a
favor getting rid of what they would have to pay to dispose of. Figure
out how much you need (may have to go to more than one store), blend it
all in one vat to get a single color, and apply. Apply extra to knots
and board ends. I use a pump sprayer for a large area. Repeat every few
years as needed.-Jitney

bump

nospambob

Our redwood arbor type unit in backyard has a cap on each leg so end
grain isn't exposed.

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 16:25:41 -0400, meirman
wrote:

I have heard that the posts should be cut at an angle so the rain runs
off. What say you all? His posts were flat on top, and about a fifth
of them had some deterioration in the top. These were the ones that
never get any sunlight for several months a year.

Alan

wrote:

In alt.home.repair on Mon, 15 Aug 2005 09:21:23 -0700 "Laughing Rock"
posted:

I have a cedar fence that's one year old and needs sealed, stained or
something.

I don't think cedar needs sealing. My next door neighbor's is 25
years old, and all it needed was a few pickets and two pieces of rail.

That depends on whether or not you like the weathered look. I don't
and would definitely put on something.

Fiberglass Door Stain Billy Home Ownership 4 July 31st 06 04:22 PM
Stain Matching: A Better Way? (Long) Mr Fixit eh Woodworking 12 March 18th 05 03:36 AM
Will solid stain cover old stain on a deck? Mike in DE. Home Repair 1 September 7th 04 09:17 PM
acid stain concrete WHoME? Home Repair 8 August 5th 04 04:05 AM
Deck stain. Recommendation? kristen Home Ownership 5 April 14th 04 06:17 PM