Mark Schofield

Default forced hot air filter

My wife is considering buying an Ionic Breeze or something similar for the
bedroom during the winter months. I have oil-fired forced hot air for
heating. Any recommendations for a filtering system in the ductwork that
would achieve the same results, but for the whole house?

Dr. Hardcrab

"Mark Schofield" wrote in message
My wife is considering buying an Ionic Breeze or something similar for the
bedroom during the winter months. I have oil-fired forced hot air for
heating. Any recommendations for a filtering system in the ductwork that
would achieve the same results, but for the whole house?

Do some research (and not the "research" they talk about on their
commercial) and see what those things REALLY do. Instead of paying an arm
and a leg for something that collects dirt ("Oooooo! That must mean it's
working!!!") do a search on air cleaning systems. You can get electronic or
media type (and others) that can be installed in your current system. Try
looking at this just to get an idea:

http://yourhome.honeywell.com/Consum.../Air+Cleaners/

Joseph Meehan

Mark Schofield wrote:
My wife is considering buying an Ionic Breeze or something similar
for the bedroom during the winter months. I have oil-fired forced hot
air for heating. Any recommendations for a filtering system in the
ductwork that would achieve the same results, but for the whole house?

Sure if you want something to do the same thing for your whole house,
just find a source of ozone (ozone is poisonous).

Look at what those advertisements really say.

"Helps reduce indoor air pollution" Sure it does, but it might take a
hundred of them to actually make any measurable difference in the air
quality.

That spring time or fresh like smell they talk about is ozone, which is
regulated as a hazardous substance. Most every copy machine and many laser
printers have filters on them to reduce the stuff.

They claim they are the most trusted (by consumers) which makes sense
considering all the questionable advertising they do.

The accreditation sources they quote are very suspect.

What is not suspect are the independent test which say they are
basically worthless and which the manufacturer challenged in court and lost.

First determine if you have a air related problem. All that advertising
has convinced many people without problems to think they do have problems.
If you do, then find out exactly what the problem is and what might be done
to reduce or eliminate it.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Mark Schofield

I'm a lurking hoammoaner at alt.hvac but didn't dare post there. thanks for
the reply. I was searching around this morning and there are allot of
options. An electrostatic filter would be the easiest. UV is an option. I do
the HVAC maintenance for our school system so ductwork mods (and wiring if
necessary) wouldn't be a problem. I've seen some negative posts about UV.
And mold isn't a problem in our house. Do electrostatics work? I don't have
central air installed. Fairly small 2 story house with feed and returns in
the rooms both up and down. I plan to call our filter vendor Monday for
suggestions. thanks for any feedback. Mark S.
"Dr. Hardcrab" wrote in message

"Mark Schofield" wrote in message
My wife is considering buying an Ionic Breeze or something similar for
the bedroom during the winter months. I have oil-fired forced hot air for
heating. Any recommendations for a filtering system in the ductwork that
would achieve the same results, but for the whole house?

Do some research (and not the "research" they talk about on their
commercial) and see what those things REALLY do. Instead of paying an arm
and a leg for something that collects dirt ("Oooooo! That must mean it's
working!!!") do a search on air cleaning systems. You can get electronic
or media type (and others) that can be installed in your current system.
Try looking at this just to get an idea:

http://yourhome.honeywell.com/Consum.../Air+Cleaners/

Joseph Meehan

Mark Schofield wrote:
I'm a lurking hoammoaner at alt.hvac but didn't dare post there.
thanks for the reply. I was searching around this morning and there
are allot of options. An electrostatic filter would be the easiest.
UV is an option. I do the HVAC maintenance for our school system so
ductwork mods (and wiring if necessary) wouldn't be a problem. I've
seen some negative posts about UV. And mold isn't a problem in our
house. Do electrostatics work?

Yes. Some work better than others and of course they only work when the
fan is on.

wrote in message

[...]

SQLit

"Mark Schofield" wrote in message
My wife is considering buying an Ionic Breeze or something similar for the
bedroom during the winter months. I have oil-fired forced hot air for
heating. Any recommendations for a filtering system in the ductwork that
would achieve the same results, but for the whole house?

Every air filter/cleaner has its ups and downs. Whole house only work when
running all of the time.
I have had two of the ionic breezes for more than 5 years. To a point they
will pull the "floaties" out of the air. As for silent claims they are
until they get dirty.

You do not specify what your trying to accomplish so a recommendation is
pretty hard.
Check your furnace and see what amount of static air pressure it will
stand. My new York heatpump craps out at 0.60" of static.
Try WW Grainger's replaceable filter area. I buy filters there that do
wonders for my home. They say that they will run 90 days I change in 30.

I had the Honeywell cleaner as well as a couple of other fan based units. I
did not like the noise.
Here's to hoping you find something that works for ya

Joseph Meehan wrote:

Mark Schofield wrote:
[...]

IMHO Ozone stinks!

Go visit a Sharper Image store (in many malls) and put your nose close to one of
those things.

Lou

Joseph Meehan

SQLit wrote:
"Mark Schofield" wrote in message
My wife is considering buying an Ionic Breeze or something similar
for the bedroom during the winter months. I have oil-fired forced
hot air for heating. Any recommendations for a filtering system in
the ductwork that would achieve the same results, but for the whole
house?

Every air filter/cleaner has its ups and downs. Whole house only work
when running all of the time.

Well, let's say much of the time. The air does not suddenly turn dirty
the second the fan turns off. Now after a couple of days...