Default Question about Cedar

quick question about cedar decks, is there any sealant or protectant
that will prevent it from the cedar turning grey? I would love to keep
the natural colour and grain texture of the cedar, but know that it
will splinter and rot and turn that ugly smoke grey colour is not
properly maintained, anybody know what works to keep that soft red
colour?

cheers

Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
ups.com...
quick question about cedar decks, is there any sealant or protectant
that will prevent it from the cedar turning grey? I would love to keep
the natural colour and grain texture of the cedar, but know that it
will splinter and rot and turn that ugly smoke grey colour is not
properly maintained, anybody know what works to keep that soft red
colour?

Penofin makes a good oil with UV protection. I've used in and after two
years on wood it is still in good shape. I don't know about very long term
though, for any oil finish.

Don Phillipson

wrote in message
ups.com...

quick question about cedar decks, is there any sealant or protectant
that will prevent it from the cedar turning grey? I would love to keep
the natural colour and grain texture of the cedar, but know that it
will splinter and rot and turn that ugly smoke grey colour is not
properly maintained, anybody know what works to keep that soft red
colour?

First you must consider how long you want the
cedar to retain its appearance when new. At a
certain future date (10 to 20 years ahead) it would
be cheaper to replace the surface than refinish it.
Deterioration varies with exposure to sunshine and
rain.

The single best protection of cedar planks is
a smooth (sanded) surface. Colour lasts longer if
you use a semi-opaque stain in the original colour
of the wood, renewed every three years or so.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Rick

Consider what pigmented stain will look like after 10 years. I used it on a
new cedar deck and it soaked in well. The finish wore away along the traffic
path, and later applications of pigmented stain soaked in the traffic area
well, but laid on top at other areas. After 5 applications, the stuff builds
up, but worse, the cedar color had faded to an unsightly purple.
At that point, we painted the deck our house colors which helped. When that
wore thru, I put a small piece of in-outdoor carpet which finished the cedar
for good. Ripped the deck apart 3 yrs ago and replaced it with Trex. Now I
enjoy the deck instead of trying to maintain it.
--

"Don Phillipson" wrote in message
wrote in message
ups.com...

[...]

Steve

I have a cedar deck that was built in 1977, it is still in excelent
shape. I use PENOFIN preservative, somewhat expensive but works very
well. You got to clean the deckwith a powerwasher first, then let it
dry out good before applying PENOFIN. Steve