Matt

Default repairing a motorcycle seat

The seat of my 1976 motorcycle has a tear that I would like to patch. I
am thinking that if there is such a thing as black vinyl with adhesive
backing, it would be a good way to fix it. Does anybody have experience
with such a repair? Where would I find that material?
RichK

"Matt"

The seat of my 1976 motorcycle has a tear that I would like to patch. I
am thinking that if there is such a thing as black vinyl with adhesive
backing, it would be a good way to fix it. Does anybody have experience
with such a repair? Where would I find that material?

Almost impossible to repair so it would hold. When you sit on it, will tear
again.

You can get it re-covered for $50-100, depending on complexity of the seat.
It will last 10 years or longer, if you keep it in a shade, or cover with a
towel, when not in a shade.

Rich

David Van Nort

"RichK" wrote in message

"Matt"

The seat of my 1976 motorcycle has a tear that I would like to patch. I
am thinking that if there is such a thing as black vinyl with adhesive
backing, it would be a good way to fix it. Does anybody have experience
with such a repair? Where would I find that material?

Almost impossible to repair so it would hold. When you sit on it, will

tear
again.

You can get it re-covered for $50-100, depending on complexity of the

seat.
It will last 10 years or longer, if you keep it in a shade, or cover with

towel, when not in a shade.

Rich

Check your local parts house, I was able to get an aftermarket seat cover
for my 84 Shadow 750 and installed it myself over the original factory
cover.Came complete with the embossed diamond pattern and piping like the
original.

Dave

Matt

RichK wrote:
"Matt"

The seat of my 1976 motorcycle has a tear that I would like to patch. I
am thinking that if there is such a thing as black vinyl with adhesive
backing, it would be a good way to fix it. Does anybody have experience
with such a repair? Where would I find that material?

Almost impossible to repair so it would hold. When you sit on it, will tear
again.

You can get it re-covered for $50-100, depending on complexity of the seat.
It will last 10 years or longer, if you keep it in a shade, or cover with a
towel, when not in a shade.

Thanks! The seat is very simple--no step, no "ribs" sewn in. I can buy
one on ebay for $50 shipped, but given your hint, I just called a local
shop and he says it might cost $30-$40. Another shop said the worst
case price was $75.
.

x-no-archive: yes

"Matt" wrote in message
The seat of my 1976 motorcycle has a tear that I would like to patch. I
am thinking that if there is such a thing as black vinyl with adhesive
backing, it would be a good way to fix it. Does anybody have experience
with such a repair? Where would I find that material?

If you go online, you could get a cover for your current seat. I had the
skin go on my seat and a replacement cover was about $100.00 from a company
that made seat covers for most makes of bikes.

You could try to patch it yourself, with a patch kit. But chances are it
won't hold. Try your local bike shop, too, and speak with a parts person and
see if they have a cheaper solution to your problem.

RichK

"Matt" wrote in message

Thanks! The seat is very simple--no step, no "ribs" sewn in. I can buy
one on ebay for $50 shipped, but given your hint, I just called a local
shop and he says it might cost $30-$40. Another shop said the worst
case price was $75.

If they are close to you, look at the material they use. Pick the heavier,
or nicer one. Those are good prices. I paid $75 many years ago with very
good cover material.

Rich