Default Honeywell RTH8500D Tstat

I hope that someone out there can help me. I have just purchased a new
house and I wanted to make sure and swap out the cheap thermostats that
came with it. I have installed the thermostat in both my upstairs unit
and my downstairs unit. My downstairs works like a charm, but my
upstairs is having serious issues. The major issue, is that the freon
pipe freezes up all the way to the outside unit and even when I set it
to 76 or 78. I am in atlanta and it has been in the mid-upper 80's
which the A/C unit should handle.... It seems once that pipe freezes
the air get less cool, but it should freeze so much. It freezes every
day regardless of what temp it is set to. The 2nd issue and this is
what leads me to belive there is something wrong, is that whether it is
on heat or cool, I only get cool air? Any suggestions? I don't know a
great deal about hvac, but I believe it is a single stage heat pump
with no aux. I have my 170 set to 2 and my 190 set to 0. If I set 190
to 1 then I just get room temperature air. Please help me. I have spent
so many hours trying to get this thing right. The most troubling issue
is that the unit downstairs has the same settings, but no problems.
Thanks in advance...

hvactech2

On 11 Aug 2005 23:03:17 -0700, wrote:

[...]

You need to call for service. a Freezing coil can be one of many
things such as, low air flow, Low refrigerant charge, etc..
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++
spam protection measure, Please remove the 33 to send e-mail
Telstra

The control wiring is wrong. Make a note of the letter designations and
cable colours in the outside Unit and note the letter designations they are
connected to in the thermostat. Compare these with the control wiring of the
downstairs unit and thermostat.
wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Yeahm I know, but it is too late for that... What do I do?

Telstra

The control wiring termination at the new thermostat is wrong. When you took
off the old thermostat
you connected the terminals of the outside unit to the wrong terminals at
the thermostat. Look at the
cable terminations on the downstairs outside unit and note the cable
colours. Then note the cable
terminarions in the thermostat. This tells you for example that w on the
outside unit should be connected
to a certain terminal at the thermostat. Then look at the cable terminations
of the upstairs outside unit and
note the cable colours. Then note the cable terminations in the thermostat.
Compare these connections with
the downstairs unit and swop the appropriate wires so the upstairs unit is
correctly terminated at the thermostat.
wrote in message
ups.com...
Yeahm I know, but it is too late for that... What do I do?

Thanks so much.. I noticed that the upstairs uses a blue wire and the
downstairs uses brown wire... Thanks to all and I will try it first
thing tomorrow morning...

I checked the differences at the air changer and I found that downstair
the yellow wires are connected to each other, but in the attic the
yellow wires are each connected to a black wire that goes into what
looks like a drain inside the unit.. Should I connect yellow to yellow
and see if that fixes the issue? Any addtional help would be greatly
appreciated... I can post pictures of wiring if anyone thinks it will
help...