Keith

Default pesticide-resistant fleas- how to get rid of them for good

I've got an old stone & sand basement that has fleas really, really bad
from the previous owner (well, her cat). When I first moved in, a 10-second
trip to the basement would mean at least 40 fleas on me by the time I made
it back to the top of the basement stairs. I've tried bug bombs, followed
by the last 9 months with a professional pest service who comes all the
time (I call them every time I go down there because I always have at least
5-10 fleas jump on me). They have tried every chemical they have legal
access to use, but nothing has worked. No pets (or people) use the
basement, right now it is useless space. The pest control service has
expressed some concern about the total amount of pesticide they have
sprayed in the last year- the only reason they haven't stopped altogether
is because the area they are spraying isnt living space.

So now I'm stuck with these invincible fleas. Does anyone know of any
alternative methods I should try? So far I haven't gotten any good ideas,
and the funniest suggestion I've gotten was from a co-worker who suggested
throwing a few dozen cats in the basement as "flea sponges", then carting
the cats out. I'm an animal lover, so I wont take that suggestion seriously
;-) but I am looking for real options...

Thanks,
Keith
Jim Yanik

Keith wrote in
. 63.158:

[...]

They now make growth regulators that stop the growth cycle of fleas and
other insects,the sprays last for 6 months or more.The stuff I have is
called Enforcer Flea spray for homes.it cost about $10 at Home Depot.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Richard J Kinch

Keith writes:

So now I'm stuck with these invincible fleas. Does anyone know of any
alternative methods I should try?

Find something you can apply yourself that is effective. Not just
permethrins. And then violate federal law by multiplying the dose. The
recommended doses on consumer products tend to be minimal, as are the
"professional" products and trade, these days.

I don't know what "bug bombs" you tried, but the Raid fumigators in the
little blue cans are quite effective, and you can multiply those, too.
lightlady

for a non-chemical approach, get some food-grade diatomaceous earth (aka
DE ), it's a fine powder made of ground up diatomes (aka sea shells).
sprinkle it around, making sure to get into cracks along walls/floorboards.
The DE will nick the exoskeleton and the insects dehydrate and die. it also
works on fire-ants :-)

HTH

--
lynn
"Keith" wrote in message
. 63.158...

[...]

Norminn

Keith wrote:
I've got an old stone & sand basement that has fleas really, really bad
from the previous owner (well, her cat). When I first moved in, a 10-second

ANY chance there are mice, rats, squirrels in voids around basement?
Possums, etc., nesting under a porch or in attic? If there are wild
critters bringing them in, it can be a risk of disease. Are you using a
"name brand" pest control company? If so, go up the ladder. They may
be using a product that doesn't kill eggs, and retreatment is needed
after a few days to get newly hatched fleas. Be sure no animals or
nests are present.