Ray

Default Paint bleed-through? ? ?

I'm covering (interior) a pale-pink with bright-white, and now and then I
get a bleed-through of the pink. It's not uniform, but in very specific
spots. And it seems that no amount of primer and top-coat will prevent the
bleed-through.

What causes this, and what can I do to prevent it?

Duane Bozarth

Ray wrote:

I'm covering (interior) a pale-pink with bright-white, and now and then I
get a bleed-through of the pink. It's not uniform, but in very specific
spots. And it seems that no amount of primer and top-coat will prevent the
bleed-through.

What causes this, and what can I do to prevent it?

Not enough information to tell. Have you talked to the paint supplier
or did you go to a Borg?

It may be an initial wall preparation problem. A very thin skim coat
over it followed by a "new wall" primer may do the trick if it's
wallboard that wasn't initially primed.

OTOH, from what you've said it may just be cheap paint and more coats
will eventually get coverage but if there's a texture/absorption
difference in some areas it will probably take another preparation step
to correct.
Luke

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 14:56:38 GMT, "Ray"
wrote:

I'm covering (interior) a pale-pink with bright-white, and now and then I
get a bleed-through of the pink. It's not uniform, but in very specific
spots. And it seems that no amount of primer and top-coat will prevent the
bleed-through.

What causes this, and what can I do to prevent it?

Try several coats of a quality high-hiding primer, for example:

Benjamin Moore Fresh Start® All Purpose 100% Acrylic Primer 023
http://www.benjaminmoore.com/wrapper...tid=60#article

Or:

Benjamin Moore Fresh Start® QD-30® Stain Blocking Primer 202
http://www.benjaminmoore.com/wrapper...tid=50#article

You don't say what paint you're using, what application method,
whether you're thinning it. You might need a better paint, better
application, no thinning. Also very white paints are notorious for
bleed-through.

--
Luke
John Bolton goes ballistic:
EXT

This is an old problem, reds in particular tend to bleed through. Paint
manufacturers make special bleed through blocker primers for this type of
situation, and this is what you need to locate.

Paint formula changes av Home Repair 27 May 28th 14 08:02 AM
Excerpt: Room for Improvement Jane Smith Home Repair 1 October 3rd 05 10:22 AM
Rust Paint and Standard Paint. ACH Metalworking 2 July 4th 05 03:48 PM
Hardinge Paint Purchase (long) [email protected] Metalworking 2 April 21st 05 07:28 PM
Benjamin Moore paint types jeffc Home Ownership 1 August 19th 03 04:51 AM