DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Window shade drawstrings. (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/116761-window-shade-drawstrings.html)

Patrick D. Rockwell August 11th 05 07:08 AM

Window shade drawstrings.

I have 3 shades in my room. The kind that you pull down, and when you want
to raise them,
you have to pull them down a bit, and then ease them back up. They don't
have any strings
on them. Are there strings that you can clip on to them? Where can I buy
them? The longer
the better, as I am in a wheelchair. Thanks in advance.

--
----------------------------------
Patrick D. Rockwell

willshak August 11th 05 12:30 PM

On 8/11/2005 2:08 AM US(ET), Patrick D. Rockwell took fingers to keys,
and typed the following:

I have 3 shades in my room. The kind that you pull down, and when you want
to raise them,
you have to pull them down a bit, and then ease them back up. They don't
have any strings
on them. Are there strings that you can clip on to them? Where can I buy
them? The longer
the better, as I am in a wheelchair. Thanks in advance.

I don't have any roll-up shades in my house and haven't checked them out
in a long while, but they used to have a cord attached in the center of
the wood stiffener at the bottom of the shade. There was a pull ring
attached to the bottom of the cord. If there is a wood stiffener at the
bottom of the shade, how about drilling a hole in the center and
attaching your own cord and pull ring?

--
Bill

Colbyt August 11th 05 09:58 PM

"Patrick D. Rockwell" wrote in message
. ..
I have 3 shades in my room. The kind that you pull down, and when you want
to raise them,
you have to pull them down a bit, and then ease them back up. They don't
have any strings
on them. Are there strings that you can clip on to them? Where can I buy
them? The longer
the better, as I am in a wheelchair. Thanks in advance.

Yes you can buy them.

They don't normally clip on. They utilize a small screw with a large
plastic cap (3/8"). You simply locate the exact middle of the shade and
screw it into the wood rail that is inside the bottom of the shade. There is
a string that wraps around the loop, hangs down and terminates in a circle.

They usually extend the length of the shade by about 8". I have never seen
more than the one size, but you could always extend it with a piece of
string if appearance isn't important.

K-mart used to stock them and sell them for about $1 per shade with the
higbee included . Lowes or HD may have them.

Here is a link to a picture of them. This price seems a little high to me:

http://www.blindsacrossamerica.com/rayonringpulls.html

Another option for you to consider if money is not a concern is motorized
cellular shades which can be raised or lowered with a remote control. The
batteries in the battery version last about a year of normal use.

Colbyt