chester

Default "BONDING" whirpool tub components

I recently installed a Ameerican Standard Whirlpool tub, that has a
2.1HP pump that came wired with a three prong plug. I also installed a
EZ inline hearer that also came with a three prong plug. I put each of
these on separate circuits (20A/15A pump/heater), isolated, ending with
a GFCI-protected outlet. I was reading through the installation
instructions for the heater, and it talked about "BONDING" the heater to
the house ground supply.

I have done a bit of research, and now understand that that means a 8AWG
bare or green ground wire needs to go to the heater and pump (although
the pump installation instructions didn't say anything about this) and
then to my panel.

OK I am gonna do this, but I was wondering how big a deal is this, in
the meantime? Should I not use the hot tub due to danger? Both devices
are grounded, and plugged into functional GFCI outlets. I (sort of)
understand that the bonding ensures equal something-or-other ( no
voltage differences) between each of the metal componets near the tub.
thx
RBM

I also want to add that you bond the water and drain piping if it's metal as
well. The bonding is just to assure any metal parts related to the tub and
near the tub are continuous and attached to the equipment ground, which is
your #12 that goes back to the panel
"chester" wrote in message
[...]

chester

RBM wrote:
I also want to add that you bond the water and drain piping if it's metal as
well. The bonding is just to assure any metal parts related to the tub and
near the tub are continuous and attached to the equipment ground, which is
your #12 that goes back to the panel
"chester" wrote in message

So it really doens't have to go back to the panel? I have read
conflicting accounts on this. The instalation intructions for the
heater, for example, suggests it does.
thx