DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Digital Dehumidifier Shuts Off After Power Outage and Stays Off! (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/116044-digital-dehumidifier-shuts-off-after-power-outage-stays-off.html)

frank1492 August 6th 05 03:57 AM

Digital Dehumidifier Shuts Off After Power Outage and Stays Off!

I used to leave an old analog model running in my basement
while I was away for weeks at a time. When I bought this new
Haier, I forgot about the "permanent off" problem. As we have
been having frequent T-storms, it is pretty useless.
Assuming there is no easy fix for this (or is there?) who still
makes an analog model?
Help much appreciated!
Frank

James Nipper August 6th 05 02:06 PM

Perhaps you could buy a UPS (uninterrupible power supply) that would keep
the unit running for brief periods during a power glitch.

Google "uninterruptible power supplies"

here is a good "basic explanation" link:

http://www.wisegeek.com/do-i-need-an...wer-supply.htm

Your challenge will be to try to estimate how long the power is off at a
time.......... 5 seconds or 4 hours ?? and find a UPS with a high
enough rating to power the dehumidifier long enough to prevent the digital
control from resetting to zero (or off). A very small UPS designed for a
computer might not do the job.

Hope this helps !!

--James--

Tom August 6th 05 02:12 PM

"frank1492" wrote in message
I used to leave an old analog model running in my basement
while I was away for weeks at a time. When I bought this new
Haier, I forgot about the "permanent off" problem. As we have
been having frequent T-storms, it is pretty useless.
Assuming there is no easy fix for this (or is there?) who still
makes an analog model?
Help much appreciated!
Frank

Sears has a 35pt model that is analog but I believe their 70pt model will
start back up after a power failure automatically just like most window air
units.
Tom

frank1492 August 10th 05 05:49 PM

Thanks. I will look into the IPS, but it will have to be able
to handle 8 amps! Probably cheaper to start all over (but
with what.) Will have to look at the restart issue very
carefully with the next unit.