DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Conduit for thermostat wiring? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/116000-conduit-thermostat-wiring.html)

Stubby August 5th 05 01:37 PM

Conduit for thermostat wiring?

Does the NEC require armored cable or conduit for a new thermostat run?
I have to go through a wall into the utility room and about 3 feet
horizontally to get to a box where the zone valve and thermostat wire meet.

SQLit August 5th 05 04:11 PM

"Stubby" wrote in message
Does the NEC require armored cable or conduit for a new thermostat run?
I have to go through a wall into the utility room and about 3 feet
horizontally to get to a box where the zone valve and thermostat wire

meet.

Low voltage wire does not need protection inside a wall.

Ben Bee January 1st 20 01:14 AM

Conduit for thermostat wiring?

replying to SQLit, Ben Bee wrote:
Can you please cite any codes that say this?

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ing-19692-.htm

trader_4 January 1st 20 02:48 PM

On Tuesday, December 31, 2019 at 8:14:05 PM UTC-5, Ben Bee wrote:
replying to SQLit, Ben Bee wrote:
Can you please cite any codes that say this?

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ing-19692-.htm

You can go look it up in the NEC. Or ask yourself if you've ever seen
a low voltage thermostat installed that used conduit or armored cable.
I've seen plenty, including new construction, never once a conduit or
armored cable. We don't even typically use that for 120/240V AC.

[email protected] January 1st 20 05:54 PM

Conduit for thermostat wiring?

On Wed, 1 Jan 2020 06:48:02 -0800 (PST), trader_4
wrote:

On Tuesday, December 31, 2019 at 8:14:05 PM UTC-5, Ben Bee wrote:
replying to SQLit, Ben Bee wrote:
Can you please cite any codes that say this?

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ing-19692-.htm

You can go look it up in the NEC. Or ask yourself if you've ever seen
a low voltage thermostat installed that used conduit or armored cable.
I've seen plenty, including new construction, never once a conduit or
armored cable. We don't even typically use that for 120/240V AC.

It is pretty common in commercial and they might require it in a
mobbed up union city like Chicago or New York for residential.
Chicago and New York traditionally required a metal wiring method for
all residential wiring but I hear they may have softened up a bit.
Chicago wanted EMT and New York leaned more towards AC cable.

Clare Snyder January 1st 20 09:39 PM

wrote:

On Tuesday, December 31, 2019 at 8:14:05 PM UTC-5, Ben Bee wrote:
replying to SQLit, Ben Bee wrote:
Can you please cite any codes that say this?

--
for full context, visit
https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ing-19692-.htm

You can go look it up in the NEC. Or ask yourself if you've ever seen
a low voltage thermostat installed that used conduit or armored cable.
I've seen plenty, including new construction, never once a conduit or
armored cable. We don't even typically use that for 120/240V AC.

It is pretty common in commercial and they might require it in a
mobbed up union city like Chicago or New York for residential.
Chicago and New York traditionally required a metal wiring method for
all residential wiring but I hear they may have softened up a bit.
Chicago wanted EMT and New York leaned more towards AC cable.

On line voltage thermostats it's not uncommon - but you don't see it
on 24 volt stuff.

[email protected] January 2nd 20 01:01 AM

Conduit for thermostat wiring?

wrote:

[...]

We ran cat 5 and coax in conduit in commercial.

Clare Snyder January 2nd 20 02:02 AM

wrote:

[...]

We did inside steel stud walls

[email protected] January 2nd 20 06:07 AM

Conduit for thermostat wiring?

wrote:

[...]

I haven't seen wood in a commercial building in 40-50 years and it is
used in most new residential down here. The only wood in the houses
my wife built was in the load bearing walls of a 2 story and there
were not that many 2 stories.
In commercial the BICSI standard is 3/4 EMT for video, voice and data.
The fire code calls for a metal wiring method for fire alarm and
control wiring, typically MC cable.

gregz January 2nd 20 08:30 AM

trader_4 wrote:
On Tuesday, December 31, 2019 at 8:14:05 PM UTC-5, Ben Bee wrote:
replying to SQLit, Ben Bee wrote:
Can you please cite any codes that say this?

--
for full context, visit
https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ing-19692-.htm

You can go look it up in the NEC. Or ask yourself if you've ever seen
a low voltage thermostat installed that used conduit or armored cable.
I've seen plenty, including new construction, never once a conduit or
armored cable. We don't even typically use that for 120/240V AC.

The units that use switching motors might help noise issue with conduit. My
thermostat was radiating lots of noise. I cut down at source inside furnace
using filters, even on AC feed. I still have some noise.

Greg