Noozer

Default Residential "slush" machine?

Just wondering.. the wife and I love Slurpee's, but an ice shaver just
doesn't cut it at home.

Is there a residential version of these slush machines out there?

Doug Kanter

A top quality blender works nicely.

"Noozer" wrote in message
Just wondering.. the wife and I love Slurpee's, but an ice shaver just
doesn't cut it at home.

Is there a residential version of these slush machines out there?

John Gilmer

"Noozer" wrote in message
Just wondering.. the wife and I love Slurpee's, but an ice shaver just
doesn't cut it at home.

Is there a residential version of these slush machines out there?

If you just want to grind ice for an "snow cone" you can get a gadget from
Wally World for about $20. They have a more expensive one for a little
more and the main difference is that the cheaper one says you have you use a
special mold for the ice. I found in practice that you don't need the
special round ice block but can get away with ice from the ice maker.

The "Slurpee" machine has a metal cylinder that is kept well below freezing
temperature. A rotaing set of knives keeps scraping off the ice as it
forms. I have never seen a "home version" of these machines. You might be
able to get a used one someplace.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Noozer" wrote in message
Just wondering.. the wife and I love Slurpee's, but an ice shaver just
doesn't cut it at home.

Is there a residential version of these slush machines out there?

Can be done in a ice cram machine with some car not to over freeze. You can
make them in a blender with crushed or small cube ice.

Doug Kanter

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

"Noozer" wrote in message
Just wondering.. the wife and I love Slurpee's, but an ice shaver just
doesn't cut it at home.

Is there a residential version of these slush machines out there?

Can be done in a ice cram machine with some car not to over freeze. You
can make them in a blender with crushed or small cube ice.

Fill blender halfway with frozen strawberries. Add orange juice/grapefruit
juice/cranberry juice, just enough to cover berries. Blend till smooth. Add
banana if the result is not sweet enough. It's thick enough to eat with a
spoon and freeze the back of your head.

Jack

Below is the link to plans for what appears to be the greatest
residential slush maker ever.

It is basically a 5 gallon drink dispenser (Like you see on football
sidelines, orange gatorade things) with a (new) garbage disposal
mounted underneath, add a little PVC plumbing and you have one whopper
of a slush maker. Just add the ice, water & drink mix and turn it on.
The disposal grinds ice. The neat part is that you can put a
recirculation pipe into the system so the ground slush gets
recirculated, so you will get a nice, smooth consistancy.

I have never built one myself, but it looks like it would work!

http://www.geocities.com/acmetequila/

Richard J Kinch

Doug Kanter writes:

A top quality blender works nicely.

And use quality clear ice, not the cloudy tap-water-in-freezer stuff.
Doug Kanter

"Richard J Kinch" wrote in message
. ..
Doug Kanter writes:

A top quality blender works nicely.

And use quality clear ice, not the cloudy tap-water-in-freezer stuff.

I know clear ice looks better in clear cocktails, but how does the normal
stuff affect a slushy?

Matt

http://cgi.ebay.com/NICE-LANCER-FROZ...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-in-Box-Spinm...QQcmdZViewItem

Richard J Kinch

Doug Kanter writes:

And use quality clear ice, not the cloudy tap-water-in-freezer stuff.

I know clear ice looks better in clear cocktails, but how does the
normal stuff affect a slushy?

Being largely demineralized by the freezing process gives it a mordant
quality that interacts differently with the beverage flavoring, amplifying
it. Hard to describe. Also no off flavors from sublimating in the
freezer.
meirman

In alt.home.repair on Fri, 05 Aug 2005 09:20:54 GMT "Noozer"
posted:

Just wondering.. the wife and I love Slurpee's, but an ice shaver just
doesn't cut it at home.

Is there a residential version of these slush machines out there?

I think I saw one on Jay Leno's show within the last 3 weeks.

OTOH, I think he was ridiculing it.

Meirman
--
If emailing, please let me know whether
or not you are posting the same letter.
John Hines

"Noozer" wrote:

Is there a residential version of these slush machines out there?

No, but find a place with commercial equipment, and get yourself a bar
type blender. You should find mixes, and everything you need to make
bar quality drinks. Get a big plastic top for it, rather than the
typical small metal container used at the bar.

You can get fancy glasses, rimmers to apply either salt or sugar.

Margaritas and daiquiris are slushies for grownups. G
TURTLE

"Noozer" wrote in message
Just wondering.. the wife and I love Slurpee's, but an ice shaver just
doesn't cut it at home.

Is there a residential version of these slush machines out there?

This is Turtle.

All you need is a friend that drinks Frozen Margarita and get the way she or he
makes them and make the drink and just leave Rita out and you got a Slush or
Slurpee thing. You need to buy a good blender.

Now I have worked on some slurpee machines at Dairy Queen and you can get you a
good small machine for about $1,800.00 .

TURTLE

Doug Kanter

Doug Kanter writes:

And use quality clear ice, not the cloudy tap-water-in-freezer stuff.

I know clear ice looks better in clear cocktails, but how does the
normal stuff affect a slushy?

Being largely demineralized by the freezing process gives it a mordant
quality that interacts differently with the beverage flavoring, amplifying
it. Hard to describe. Also no off flavors from sublimating in the
freezer.

I can see the sublimating issue. But, demineralized? I'm only up to one cup
of coffee so far, but I don't see how freezing water removes minerals.

Richard J Kinch

Doug Kanter writes:

But, demineralized? I'm only up to one cup
of coffee so far, but I don't see how freezing water removes minerals.

Cascading water over a freezing plate builds up a slab that crystalizes the
water to the exclusion of solutes, which then have to be flushed. It is
discussed he

http://www.truetex.com/icemachine.htm

This is why natural ice building up in running water (like a creek) is so
clear and pure.

This principle can also concentrate dissolved things like alcohol or sugar.
J Kelly

On Fri, 05 Aug 2005 09:20:54 GMT, "Noozer" wrote:

Just wondering.. the wife and I love Slurpee's, but an ice shaver just
doesn't cut it at home.

Is there a residential version of these slush machines out there?

The secret to the slushes (beside the machine) is the amount of sugar
disolved into the water (it was at least 10 lbs of sugar in 5 gallons
of water, may have been more.. It has been almost 20 years since I
worked in a place that made slushees.). There was also something
called "slush base" added to the mix. No clue what is is.
Doug Kanter

"J Kelly" wrote in message
On Fri, 05 Aug 2005 09:20:54 GMT, "Noozer" wrote:

Just wondering.. the wife and I love Slurpee's, but an ice shaver just
doesn't cut it at home.

Is there a residential version of these slush machines out there?

The secret to the slushes (beside the machine) is the amount of sugar
disolved into the water (it was at least 10 lbs of sugar in 5 gallons
of water, may have been more.. It has been almost 20 years since I
worked in a place that made slushees.). There was also something
called "slush base" added to the mix. No clue what is is.

Fattening! You can make a perfectly good drink like that with 3 cups of
frozen strawberries, 2 cups of OJ and a banana.

J Kelly

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 20:34:35 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

"J Kelly" wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 05 Aug 2005 09:20:54 GMT, "Noozer" wrote:

Just wondering.. the wife and I love Slurpee's, but an ice shaver just
doesn't cut it at home.

Is there a residential version of these slush machines out there?

The secret to the slushes (beside the machine) is the amount of sugar
disolved into the water (it was at least 10 lbs of sugar in 5 gallons
of water, may have been more.. It has been almost 20 years since I
worked in a place that made slushees.). There was also something
called "slush base" added to the mix. No clue what is is.

Fattening! You can make a perfectly good drink like that with 3 cups of
frozen strawberries, 2 cups of OJ and a banana.

That may have just as much sugar. An equal sized serving of OJ has
close to as much sugar as Coke, if not more. At least it would have
some vitamins and minerals in it though, unlike the empty calories in
the Coke. Sounds mighty good too!
Doug Kanter

"J Kelly" wrote in message
On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 20:34:35 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

"J Kelly" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Based on what I see at the local 7-11, there is a certain category of people
who think refined sugar is a necessity of life. They usually arrive in
full-size conversion vans, which is one of the few vehicles they can fit
into since Cadillac discontinued the 1974 Fleetwood.