DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Laying Laminate wood floor over rough surface brick (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/115685-laying-laminate-wood-floor-over-rough-surface-brick.html)

seniorgeezer August 2nd 05 08:42 PM

Laying Laminate wood floor over rough surface brick

I have a den with a brick floor. The brick does not present a smooth
planar surface. It is a little bit like cobblestone.

I want to put down 8mm engineered wood laminate with tongue and grove
interconnection.

Can I lay the wood laminate on top of the brick with its somewhat
irregular surface? Or must I remove the brick, and lay a subfloor
before putting down the wood flooring?

Another way might be to "float" a coat of concrete/mortor over the
brick? I am looking for any ideas on the subject.

Thanks,

Bob

Joseph Meehan August 2nd 05 09:18 PM

seniorgeezer wrote:
I have a den with a brick floor. The brick does not present a smooth
planar surface. It is a little bit like cobblestone.

I want to put down 8mm engineered wood laminate with tongue and grove
interconnection.

Can I lay the wood laminate on top of the brick with its somewhat
irregular surface? Or must I remove the brick, and lay a subfloor
before putting down the wood flooring?

Another way might be to "float" a coat of concrete/mortor over the
brick? I am looking for any ideas on the subject.

Thanks,

Bob

It would depend on how uneven it is. That is uneven over say a 4 foot
area.

You might consider using a higher than usual quality cushion or even two
layers of the it.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Edwin Pawlowski August 2nd 05 09:18 PM

"seniorgeezer" wrote in message

Can I lay the wood laminate on top of the brick with its somewhat
irregular surface? Or must I remove the brick, and lay a subfloor
before putting down the wood flooring?

Another way might be to "float" a coat of concrete/mortor over the
brick? I am looking for any ideas on the subject.

Sounds chancy to me. What does the manufacturer say? I bet they'd ant it
smoothed over with something first for best results.

Chita August 3rd 05 01:37 AM

Have you considered leveling compound? Some brands say they can level
out up to 1/2" thick. Would that be enough? Remember that laminates
usually float on a cellular foam material which can smooth out a bit of
irregularity too.

You might end up furring the floor, of course. Put numbers into a
spreadsheet and see if one method works better than another for your
budget.