Stuart Benoff

Default Swimming Pool Fiberglass Coating?

I have a 25 year old 33,000 gallon inground pool that is in need of
painting, needs some tiles replaced and has some cracks between the
coping and the tiles. Most companies want to acid wash, paint and
replace the tile and coping but one company wants to remove the tiles
and place a 1/8 inch fiberglass coating over the gunite, old tile line
and the coping.

Has anyone heard of this process and have any experiences (good or bad)
with it?
SQLit

"Stuart Benoff" wrote in message
I have a 25 year old 33,000 gallon inground pool that is in need of
painting, needs some tiles replaced and has some cracks between the
coping and the tiles. Most companies want to acid wash, paint and
replace the tile and coping but one company wants to remove the tiles
and place a 1/8 inch fiberglass coating over the gunite, old tile line
and the coping.

Has anyone heard of this process and have any experiences (good or bad)
with it?

25 year old pool, time to remove and replaster/tile. Painting will not last

No clue on how the fiberglass will hold up.

Richard J Kinch

Stuart Benoff writes:

Has anyone heard of this process and have any experiences (good or bad)
with it?

You mean fiberglass embedded in epoxy. Lasts about seven years in
immersion before it gets ugly and/or delaminates. (Remember
chattahoochee?)
SteveB

Stuart Benoff writes:

Has anyone heard of this process and have any experiences (good or bad)
with it?

For the seller, it is an excellent way to make money. For the buyer, it
don't work.

Steve

Stuart Benoff

You mean fiberglass embedded in epoxy. Lasts about seven years in
immersion before it gets ugly and/or delaminates. (Remember
chattahoochee?)

Exactly. They use a fiberglass material and attach it to the existing
plaster (after roughing it up) using an epoxy. Then apply several coats
of a fiberglass resin, sand it smooth and apply a final clear/gloss
coat. They recommend removing the tiles and putting the fiberglass
right over the coping. This way, there are no gaps to crack or for water
to get in to. It also has a lifetime warranty against cracks and
leaks. Don't get me wrong - I'm not for it - just exploring the
options before diving in (pardon the pun). It's a pretty expensive
process but I'm just starting to get prices for plastering, tiling and
coping so I'm not sure how to compare it yet.

Thank you all for sharing your thoughts.

SteveB

"Stuart Benoff" wrote
It's a pretty expensive
process but I'm just starting to get prices for plastering, tiling and
coping so I'm not sure how to compare it yet.

Thank you all for sharing your thoughts.

I got my 33,000 gallon in ground pool replastered two years ago. It was
$3,000. They came one morning at 7 AM. There was a crew of about 15 guys.
They chipped the old plaster out with air chisels, hauled it off, and were
gone by noon. The next day, they came at 7 AM again, and started shooting.
They left by noon, and left two guys to finish. We started adding water at
3 PM.

The pool was empty for less than 48 hours. It looks beautiful still.

The best $3,000 I ever spent.

Don't dick around with experimental things. Have it done the old fashioned
way by a reputable pool replasterer. You will notice the difference seven
years down the road when the fiberglass starts to deteriorate from the sun.

And then you will have to pay more to have someone come in and wreck it out
and do it right.

Do it once. Do it right.

Steve

Stuart Benoff

!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
html
head
meta content="text/html;charset=ISO-8859-1" http-equiv="Content-Type"
/head
body bgcolor="#ffffff" text="#000000"
Steve,br
br
At this point I'd be very happy with paying $3K although you're not
including new tile and coping but I agree with doing it right the first
time.   How long do you expect your new plaster to last?br
br
Stubr
br
SteveB wrote:
blockquote cite="mid0r5Ie.55021$4o.31326@fed1read06" type="cite"
pre wrap="""Stuart Benoff" a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" "<beno >/a wrote
It's a pretty expensive
/pre
blockquote type="cite"
pre wrap=""process but I'm just starting to get prices for plastering, tiling and

pre wrap=""!----
[...]

/body
/html
SteveB

"Stuart Benoff" wrote in message
Steve,

At this point I'd be very happy with paying $3K although you're not
including new tile and coping but I agree with doing it right the first
time. How long do you expect your new plaster to last?

Stu

We had a company that has been in business for 30 years do it. He said it
lasts about twenty years depending on the way you keep up with the chemicals
in the pool, algae control, etc.

The pool was originally built in '85, so that job lasted 18 years. I think
they use a little better "stuff" now, and with the petroleum product
additives, it lasts longer than whatever they had available 25 years ago.

As with anything, check out the companies, and get competitive bids. We had
one guy over that has been in business for a long time. He had a very bad
reputation, but there is so much business out there that he still does a lot
of business. I was just lucky to have a friend who does service work for
the local hotels who put us on to this guy. One guy even put his price on
the back of a business card that had the phone number on the front changed
with a pen.

Yer spending a lot of money, and you want it to last. Do the footwork, and
you won't be sorry.

BTW, now is the time to have all the tile and coping work done. Maybe even
cool decking. I got a killer deal on the pool deck. Again, a referral from
a friend. After two years, we called the guy the other day because we had
some spots coming off. He came and fixed it THE SAME DAY and didn't want
any money. I gave him $50 anyway.

Good luck. In a short time, it's like you have a new pool.

Steve

Pagan

"Stuart Benoff" wrote in message
Steve,

At this point I'd be very happy with paying $3K although you're not

including new tile and coping but I agree with doing it right the first
time. How long do you expect your new plaster to last?

I have a pool slightly smaller than SteveB, 40 years old, and it cost
something less than $3,000 for plaster, roughly $1,000 for tiles, and
$1,2000 for coping. I don't remember, exactly, because I also had the whole
pool replumbed, with new skimmer and all new equipment. Anyway, my neighbor
had the fiberglass thing done years ago, and just a few months later they
had it replastered. The fiberglass coating over plaster/concrete thing is
nothing new, and it's as big a rip-off now as it's always been. Avoid it at
all costs.

Painting isn't much better, in most cases. Although some folks have painted
their pools and had good results, most end up having to either remove the
paint, or the plaster, within a few months to a few years, as this stuff
isn't designed to last more than 7 years or so.

New plaster is your best bet, along with some new tile if you can. The
coping can probably be repaired if it's not too bad off.

You might want to take a close look at your plumbing. If it's copper, or it
needs repair which requires cutting up the pool, now is the time to do it.

Pagan

Stuart Benoff

!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
html
head
meta content="text/html;charset=ISO-8859-1" http-equiv="Content-Type"
/head
body bgcolor="#ffffff" text="#000000"
I'm starting to get prices for this work and now I really wish I could
get the price you mention.  A rep from Anthony came out last week and
they want $20,000 to re-plaster, re-tile and put in new coping.   Of
course, if I agree to do it this fall it's only 18K.   My pool is 880
square feet - so it's on the larger side for backyard pools. br
br
I got a second price around $14,000 and this includes $1,100 to empty
the pool.   I'm thinking of renting a pump and doing that myself.  Does
anyone know if there is anything to watch out for when emptying a pool?br
br
Thanks!br
br
br
Pagan wrote:
blockquote " type="cite"
pre wrap="""Stuart Benoff" a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" "<beno >/a wrote in message
a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" "news:d /a...
/pre
blockquote type="cite"
pre wrap=""Steve,

pre wrap=""!----including new tile and coping but I agree with doing it right the first
[...]

SQLit

"Stuart Benoff" wrote in message ...
I'm starting to get prices for this work and now I really wish I could get the price you mention. A rep from Anthony came out last week and they want $20,000 to re-plaster, re-tile and put in new coping. Of course, if I agree to do it this fall it's only 18K. My pool is 880 square feet - so it's on the larger side for backyard pools.

I got a second price around $14,000 and this includes $1,100 to empty the pool. I'm thinking of renting a pump and doing that myself. Does anyone know if there is anything to watch out for when emptying a pool?

$1100 to empty the pool, if your local (PHX) I will do it for $900.00.

I drained my pool into the lawn. Got some extra backwash hose and started from the far end of my 1/2 acre lot. My valving allowed for a back wash (sort of) with out going through the filter.
This lowered the level to just below the skimmer. Then I put some cleaner hose on the skimmer and lowered it with the pool pump to about 3 feet from the top. I bought a submersible 120v pump and left that run over night. Next day there was very little water left. My pool was only 25k gallons. Took best part of 2 1/2 days to empty the pool. I removed the drain cover when the water was shallow enough and put the pump in there.

With the volume of water you have you better check with the authorities before you consider the street. If your not on a septic system you can use the clean out for the sewer. It will go a bit slower the sewer even though it is 4 inch will reach a saturation point and then slow down a bit.

SteveB

I got a second price around $14,000 and this includes $1,100 to empty the
pool.

If your pool has a backwash device, you just flip the handle, and all the
water goes down the sewer as fast as the pump will pump it. If you need to
pump it out, you can rent a pump for about $100 a day.

$1100 to empty a pool is an insult to human intelligence.

Steve

Stuart Benoff

Sorry ... I got this wrong. They want $1100 to refill the pool with
water after the new plaster is applied. I guess they're going to truck
it in somehow. I'm going to follow up with them about how long the new
plaster can go without water to see if this is really necessary.

Stu

SteveB wrote:

I got a second price around $14,000 and this includes $1,100 to empty the
pool.

If your pool has a backwash device, you just flip the handle, and all the
water goes down the sewer as fast as the pump will pump it. If you need to
pump it out, you can rent a pump for about $100 a day.

$1100 to empty a pool is an insult to human intelligence.

Steve

SteveB

"Stuart Benoff" wrote in message
Sorry ... I got this wrong. They want $1100 to refill the pool with
water after the new plaster is applied. I guess they're going to truck it
in somehow. I'm going to follow up with them about how long the new
plaster can go without water to see if this is really necessary.

Stu

We started filling mine at three in the afternoon after it had been
plastered only six hours earlier. They were still working around the pool
and edges as the water was rising. I was concerned because the plaster was
still soft.

It can't go any time without water, or it will crack. There is a process
the cement goes through. I noticed that there looked like hundreds, nay,
thousands of blisters on the bottom of the pool as it was filling. I called
the guy, and he said it was normal, that the concrete was hardening and
squeezing out some of the components.

Do whatever your installer says to do. They know what they are doing, and
if they are a contractor, and they blow it, they have to make it right.

Steve

Stuart Benoff wrote:
I have a 25 year old 33,000 gallon inground pool that is in need of
painting, needs some tiles replaced and has some cracks between the
coping and the tiles. Most companies want to acid wash, paint and
replace the tile and coping but one company wants to remove the tiles
and place a 1/8 inch fiberglass coating over the gunite, old tile line
and the coping.

Has anyone heard of this process and have any experiences (good or bad)
with it?

Yes, I have the fiberglass coating on my pool that was applied to the
old plaster finish. The pool is in Arizona and both my neighbor and I
had the pools resurfaced with fiberglass in 1989 (shasta pools did the
fiberglass). My pool is now ready to be resurfaced again, and his is
holding up better, so the fiberglass held out for ~15 years, roughly
the same duration of plaster in the same era her in hardwater
Arizona... The fiberglass is a very maintenance free surface, far
superior to plaster in my opinion, because algae doesn't seem to be
able to attach to it. It is very easy to clean, I treat it just like a
giant bathtub when service draining and cleaning... It cost rought
~3000 to resurface a 15K gallon pool in fiberglass back in 1989...

glassguy

Stuart Benoff wrote:
I'm starting to get prices for this work and now I really wish I could get the price you mention. A rep from Anthony came out last week and they want $20,000 to re-plaster, re-tile and put in new coping. Of course, if I agree to do it this fall it's only 18K. My pool is 880 square feet - so it's on the larger side for backyard pools.

I got a second price around $14,000 and this includes $1,100 to empty the pool. I'm thinking of renting a pump and doing that myself. Does anyone know if there is anything to watch out for when emptying a pool?

Thanks!

Pagan wrote:
[...]

Regarding the choice of a fiberglass coating and "it's as big a rip-off
now as it's always been", is a statement I must take issue with.
Fiberglass resurfacing, done properly with the proper resins and
gelcoat will last up to 25 years, although it may need some cosmetic
help after 15 or so years.

There is no plaster, used for resurfacing, that will last even 10
years. That's why the guarantee for replastering is never greater than
4 years, and is usually 2 years, or even less. Plaster is a great
solution for new pools because it will last a long time, but putting
plaster on an old pool is an entirely different story. That's why the
replaster guarantee is so short.

I take issue with the statement that "as this stuff (paint)isn't
designed to last more than 7 years or so." No POOL paint is designed or
expected to last "7 years or so". Two or three years is the maximum,
then it goes downhill rapidly. Unless, of course, you refer to lead
based paint which could last 7 years, but that's no longer available in
this country.

Finally, I take issue with "The coping can probably be repaired if it's
not too bad off." Coping cannot be repaired in any way, shape, or form;
it can only be replaced.

My response is based on 14 years of executive management in swimming
pool restoration.

glassguy

Beware of any fiberglass company that agrees to cover concrete coping
with fiberglass. It indicates they don't know what they're doing, or
they don't plan on being in business for long.

Coping stones move, allowing water to seep-in between the fiberglass
and the concrete coping. This, in turn, allows water to get between the
fiberglass and the wall of the pool. Thus, delamination begins.

This is a major cause of the horror stories about pool resurfacing with
fiberglass.

Pagan

"glassguy" wrote in message
oups.com...

Pagan wrote:
[...]

You may be right, and there may be some great looking pools out there that
have been fiberglassed, but I haven't seen nor heard of any, and though I'm
not the omnipotent demigod of all pools, it's likely I would have at least
heard of good fiberglass recoating in S. CA.

Seeing as how you are in the business, as well as your statement just below,
how long does your company guarantee it's product?

There is no plaster, used for resurfacing, that will last even 10
years. That's why the guarantee for replastering is never greater than
4 years, and is usually 2 years, or even less. Plaster is a great
solution for new pools because it will last a long time, but putting
plaster on an old pool is an entirely different story. That's why the
replaster guarantee is so short.

That doesn't make sense. The warranty on my Panasonic microwave was only
good for a year, but after 15 years, it's still humming along.

I fail to see the difference between plastering a new pool and replastering
an older pool, in regard to how long the plaster will last. The closest
thing to a reason you give is that the guarantee is short, but that could
have more to do with the potential lack of proper care of the pool and water
than anything else. I find it hard to believe that my pool lasted over 40
years with new plaster, and still looked great, but new plaster will not
"last" 10 years. What happens to the plaster?

I take issue with the statement that "as this stuff (paint)isn't
designed to last more than 7 years or so." No POOL paint is designed or
expected to last "7 years or so". Two or three years is the maximum,
then it goes downhill rapidly. Unless, of course, you refer to lead
based paint which could last 7 years, but that's no longer available in
this country.

That's the information I got from the manufacturers and pool owners.

Finally, I take issue with "The coping can probably be repaired if it's
not too bad off." Coping cannot be repaired in any way, shape, or form;
it can only be replaced.

Strange, that you can make such a blanket statement without actually seeing
the coping for yourself, nor have any idea of just what kind of damage the
coping has. When your talking about a cash layout of $1,100 or more, which
is still a good chunk of money, it appears irresponsible to make such a
claim. The coping on my pool could have been repaired, however, I did not
care for the style or color anyway, so I chose to replace it. Of course,
had it been repaired, it wouldn't have looked perfect, and flaws would have
been noticable upon close examination, but few people go to a pool to stare
at the coping anyway, and if I'd liked the origional coping, or if I didn't
have the money to replace it, it would have been fixed, not replaced, and
I'd have another $1,100 to spend on other, more important things.

Pagan

My response is based on 14 years of executive management in swimming
pool restoration.

glassguy

Pagan wrote:
"glassguy" wrote in message
oups.com...

Pagan wrote:
[...]

The difference between plastering and replastering is the condition of
the gunite or concrete. When concrete and gunite are new, plaster will
last about 15 years before it begins to become stained, rough, and a
haven for algae. When plaster is applied to old gunite or concrete
which is dried out and, depending on the age of the pool (15 years vs.
25 years), suffers from the onslaught of ground water, the bond is far
less successful.

Anyone who has owned a gunite or concrete pool for a long period of
time knows that your statement: "my pool lasted over 40 years with new
plaster, and still looked great" is both misleading and ludicrous.

Since we're discussing the coping on an older concrete or gunite pool,
we know that it is made of one foot wide concrete bullnose coping
stones. There is no way to "repair" broken or crumbling concrete coping
stones.

Your original post in this thread Pagan sounded authoritive, but your
knowledge of swimming pool restoration is really limited. Good luck
with your newly restored swimming pool and enjoy the season. -Bill

Glassguy,

Can the fiberglass surface be re-surfaced with fiberglass somehow?
Given that the fiberglass is applied to the plaster and now the
fiberglass is "fish scaling" (delaminating in little cresent moon
shaped pieces the size of a quarter), what can they do? Chip out the
fiberglass down to the plaster and re-fiberglass, or chip to the gunite
and fiberglass. My thought was to chip to the gunite and plaster, but
the thought of plaster again distresses me....

MC

Richard J Kinch

Pagan writes:

Unless the guy has a gun in his hand, send him on his way.

Yeah, for $1100 I'll come and empty it by hand with a bucket.
Bob G.

On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 15:59:13 -0500, Richard J Kinch
wrote:

Pagan writes:

Unless the guy has a gun in his hand, send him on his way.

Yeah, for $1100 I'll come and empty it by hand with a bucket.

Now Richard,..... lol.....

I honestly do not think you would work for so little money.... even
using a 5 gallon bucket it would take you
way to long to empty the pool...and your back would require about
$3,000 dollars worth of Muscle Relaxants just to allow you to stand up

But I do get your point.... lol

Bob G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I am thinking of putting in a pool. I want a fiberglass pool but the cost in So Cal is so much more expensive than a gunite pool. How is your fiberglass holding up? Maybe Ill do a gunite with fiberglass coating.