DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   GE Oven turns on by itself (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/115646-ge-oven-turns-itself.html)

JC Home August 1st 05 11:19 PM

GE Oven turns on by itself

Hey all,

I have a GE XL44 gas oven, and it is turning on by itself on occasion even
when the valve is set to off. I think it is just a valve problem, but I'm
not sure how to replace/troubleshoot. Can anybody help me with this?

Thanks

Jeff C
Dallas, GA

MrC1 August 2nd 05 12:25 AM

It's probably either a bad connection at the ribbon cable (back of the
control panel) or a faulty control panel. GE has had many similar problems
with both gas and electric ovens.

Appliance Repair Aid August 2nd 05 12:45 PM

Hi,

Model#? XL44 isn't it.

http://www.applianceaid.com/model.html
Some model# helps.

it is turning on by itself on occasion even
when the valve is set to off.

Shorted wire, bad control would be prime suspects.

jeff.
Appliance Repair aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

Vox Humana August 2nd 05 02:30 PM

"MrC1" wrote in message
It's probably either a bad connection at the ribbon cable (back of the
control panel) or a faulty control panel. GE has had many similar

problems
with both gas and electric ovens.

I had the same problem with a GE over-the-range microwave. It would turn on
by itself, especially on winter evening when the temperature would drop
significantly.