DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Mower Rear-Wheel Ratchet-Spring Frustration (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/115579-mower-rear-wheel-ratchet-spring-frustration.html)

mimus July 30th 05 06:33 PM

Mower Rear-Wheel Ratchet-Spring Frustration

I have an old MTD self- propelled lawnmower that has a ratchet assembly on
each rear wheel which depends on a threaded nylon leaf- spring to operate.

The previous springs lasted several years each, but just this summer I
bought a replacement set after the previous ones failed (broke) and the
replacements have just lasted seven weeks, and seem to want to curl or jump
off their tracks.

Should I just try another pair, or has anyone found a good workaround? I
can just lift the rear wheels off the ground to back the mower up if
necessary, but that doesn't allow mowing in reverse and is a little hard on
the back.

--
..sigzip:*

mimus July 30th 05 08:10 PM

On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 13:33:16 -0400, mimus wrote:

I have an old MTD self- propelled lawnmower that has a ratchet assembly on
each rear wheel which depends on a threaded nylon leaf- spring to operate.

The previous springs lasted several years each, but just this summer I
bought a replacement set after the previous ones failed (broke) and the
replacements have just lasted seven weeks, and seem to want to curl or jump
off their tracks.

Should I just try another pair, or has anyone found a good workaround? I
can just lift the rear wheels off the ground to back the mower up if
necessary, but that doesn't allow mowing in reverse and is a little hard on
the back.

Nev' mind. Gonna try internal retaining disks.

--
..sigzip:*