Bill

Default connecting water supply to new dishwasher

Hello. I'm trying to connect a flexible hose to a new Maytag dishwasher.
One end of the hose is connected to the hot water supply and the other end
is connected to one end of a 90 degree elbow. The other end of the elbow
connects to the dishwasher water input connection.

I can connect the hose to the hot water supply and to the elbow. The
problem is connecting the elbow to the dishwasher. There's about 0.5" of
(male) threading on the elbow and about the same amount of (female)
threading on the dishwasher connection.

I can turn the elbow into the dishwasher connection for about two
revolutions of the elbow but after that, it gets really hard to turn the
elbow any more (I'll break the dishwasher connection if I try to turn it any
more). Two turns means the elbow threading is only about 0.25" into the
dishwasher connection threading.

Since there's 0.5" of threading on both the elbow and the dishwasher
connection, it would seem I should be able to turn the elbow further into
the dishwasher connection threading. And with the elbow only 0.25" into the
dishwasher connection, I'm afraid of water leaking there.

I thought that possibly the threading on the elbow was screwed up so I
bought another one (they cost $3) but got the same result. I then thought
that maybe the threading on the dishwasher was screwed up so I went to Home
Depot where we got it. I explained the situation to the HD person and asked
if I could try to turn the elbow I brought with me on one of the Maytag
dishwashers there.

They let me do that but I got the same result. The two HD sales people
didn't know the answer. They referred me to a place that sells parts to
dishwashers but I couldn't get any answers there.

I called a few appliance repair places and left a message at each one. One
guy called me back and said something about a compression
something-or-other. He had an accent and was hard to understand him.

Does anybody know the answer to this? I emailed Maytag a few hours ago but
don't expect to hear back until tomorrow (and I don't have a lot of
confidence I'll get a satisfactory answer). I called customer service but
that did no good.

Thanks in advance for any help provided.

Bill

David Martel

Bill,

A 1/4 " is plenty of connection. If the water isn't leaking you are done.
Use pipe dope or teflon tape. Plumbing fittings are meant to get tighter as
they go on.

Dave M.

Sacramento Dave

"Bill" wrote in message
[...]

I will guess your talking about the Dishwasher ell ( 90 degree elbow ) The

appliance man is talking about a compression fitting, the part of the ell
sticking out it's a 3/8 compression fitting. On the nipple that is sticking
out of the machine, put some pipe dope on it, put about 6 wraps of Teflon
tape on it looking at it in a clockwise direction and the put dope on that.
I also put dope on compression fittings . Now I like to use those flexible
stainless steel lines. If you have a leak after all this at the nipple there
is a product called x-pando (Try a plumbing Supply ) Be warned if it has to
come apart then it's a bitch. But you should need this. When your done and
there is no leaks leave the cover off put a piece of news paper under
fitting let it sit for a day any wet spots would indicate a leak/ slow drip.

Bill

"David Martel" wrote in message
nk.net...
Bill,

A 1/4 " is plenty of connection. If the water isn't leaking you are

done.
Use pipe dope or teflon tape. Plumbing fittings are meant to get tighter

as
they go on.

I just found it strange that there would be 1/2" of theading on both the
elbow and dishwasher connection. And it just didn't look like it had gone on
enough. But I guess that's the way it's supposed to work.

Thanks for your help.

Bill

Dave M.

Bill

"Sacramento Dave" wrote

"Bill" wrote

[...]

Yep.

The
appliance man is talking about a compression fitting, the part of the ell
sticking out it's a 3/8 compression fitting.

Why is that considered a compression fitting? I'm just screwing the male
threading on the 90 degree elbow into the female threading on the
dishwasher.

On the nipple that is sticking
out of the machine, put some pipe dope on it, put about 6 wraps of Teflon
tape on it looking at it in a clockwise direction and the put dope on

that.

I just put the white thread sealant (I assume that's the Teflon you speak
of) on the elbow threading. "Pipe dope" plus Teflon plus pipe dope seems
like overkill.

I also put dope on compression fittings .

I don't have any compression fittings - just the elbow and the threaded
input on the dishwasher.

Now I like to use those flexible
stainless steel lines.

Yeah that's what I'm using.

If you have a leak after all this at the nipple there
is a product called x-pando (Try a plumbing Supply ) Be warned if it has

come apart then it's a bitch. But you should need this.

I'm assuming you meant "should not need this."

When your done and
there is no leaks leave the cover off put a piece of news paper under
fitting let it sit for a day any wet spots would indicate a leak/ slow

drip.

Thanks so much for the excellent information. I really appreciate.

Have a great one,

Bill