Apropos

Default Spray insulation / insulating foam?

Does anyone know about any decent SPRAY insulation that would stick to surfaces
such as fiberglass?

I'm thinking about something like "Great Stuff" in consistencyt but something
which is meant to cover a broader area instead of just filling cracks and small
crevices.

The application I'm intending is to spray the underside of a fiberglass hot tub
which most of the insulation has fallen off of. It appears that the original
foam on the bottom of this tub was initially sprayed on by some method.

Other ideas to apply insulation to this tub are likewise appreciated.

SQLit

"Apropos" wrote in message
Does anyone know about any decent SPRAY insulation that would stick to

surfaces
such as fiberglass?

I'm thinking about something like "Great Stuff" in consistencyt but

something
which is meant to cover a broader area instead of just filling cracks and

small
crevices.

The application I'm intending is to spray the underside of a fiberglass

hot tub
which most of the insulation has fallen off of. It appears that the

original
foam on the bottom of this tub was initially sprayed on by some method.

Other ideas to apply insulation to this tub are likewise appreciated.

Yellowish in color???? If so then you will probably not like the prices of
getting the stuff yourself. I have had foam sprayed into block walls
before that worked well.
Problem with foam is the "good stuff" is a two part mixture and requires
equipment that is expensive for a single use.

I suggest you contact some local contractors and have them bid the job.

In lew of that try this site. Do the math carefully. The site is mostly
board feet not cubic feet.
http://www.fomofoam.com/fire_systems.htm#Pricing

You will quickly notice that the price does not change very much. ~a dollar
per board foot.

Is there any reason that you can not just stuff fiberglass into the areas
and use some spray adhesive? Most of the heat goes up anyway.

Apropos

Thanks for the suggestions.

However... compared to the prices of having a pro bid the job or buying some
kits of that price, I might as well try buying up to a dozen large cans of Great
Stuff and blob it all around the bottom of the tub.

This is a small home job and I only need to get foam perhaps 1"-2" all around
the bottom of the tub (water areas only) which is no more than 35-50 sqft. The
way Great Stuff expands I could easily get 3 sqft per can... (maybe a lot more
than that) - it's just a pain to apply that way since it doesn't SPRAY.

I'm looking for some expanding foam I could buy in spray cans.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Apropos" wrote in message
This is a small home job and I only need to get foam perhaps 1"-2" all
around
the bottom of the tub (water areas only) which is no more than 35-50 sqft.
The
way Great Stuff expands I could easily get 3 sqft per can... (maybe a lot
more
than that) - it's just a pain to apply that way since it doesn't SPRAY.

I'm looking for some expanding foam I could buy in spray cans.

I've never seen home use stuff in spray cans, but it may exist. Is there a
way of making a partition to hold the foam? If you were to take a piece of
plywood, cover it in polyethylene sheet as a release agent, then block it in
place near the tub and leave a gap of say 2", then inject the foam. After
it sets up, move the board to the next spot.

You may also want to consider using some sheets of insulating foam on any
flat areas and using the spray stuff on the contours between.

Apropos

Thanks. Overall, it appears there are so many curves and pipes that making some
kind of framework would be quite tough unless I wanted to use a VERY large
amount of foam, essentially encasing the pipes and all within.

What I'm starting to think, seeing the prices of the fire rated foam, is to do
similar to what you said; get some 1" or 2" sheets of insulation to apply to the
straightest sections to help flesh out the bulk, and effectively buttering them
on using the Great Stuff. Even SOME countours could be worked around by cutting
smaller pieces of foam sheet and once again applying Great Stuff between....
that way I get a lot of insulation without having to build it up with Great
Stuff only.

Great stuff, that "Great Stuff"

dilligaf

There is a two part spray foam available to the public. No special
tools required. Comes with aplicator gun and spray tips. (fan and
straight pattern tips) Its pricey, about $350.00-400.00 for the kit.
Contains two 20lb bottles. It will insulate ALOT of area. Its used by
refrigerated semi trailers too insulate walls. We get ours from Utility
Trailer. (brand of semi trailer "Utility") I'll get the makers name of
froth pack (what Utility calls it) at work tomorrow.
Regards
J.R.

dilligaf

There is a two part spray foam available to the public. No special
tools required. Comes with aplicator gun and spray tips. (fan and
straight pattern tips) Its pricey, about $350.00-400.00 for the kit.
Contains two 20lb bottles. It will insulate ALOT of area. Its used by
refridgerated semi trailers too insulate walls. We get ours from
Utility
Trailer. (brand of semi trailer "Utility") I'll get the makers name of
froth pack (what Utility calls it) at work tomorrow.
Regards
J.R.

Slumlord

I use these guys for foam http://www.fomofoam.com/

insulation spray foam FH Home Repair 19 April 30th 05 03:08 AM
spray foam insulation for drafts??? dude Home Repair 10 January 18th 05 05:54 PM
Spray in foam insulation + minimum roof slope? Albert Home Repair 13 November 9th 04 06:53 PM
Is it possible to find wire insulation faults without a visual exam? Home Builder Home Repair 6 March 12th 04 02:17 PM
Is it possible to find wire insulation faults without a visual exam? Home Builder Home Ownership 6 March 12th 04 02:17 PM