cjkeenan

Default submersible pump problem

over the past few weeks I have woken up to find that my pump is not
working. I then go to my electrical panel, turn off the breaker for the
pump for a minute or two, and then turn it back on. I can then hear the
pump kick in and my water pressure returns. I wonder if anyone has any
ideas what might be causing it to do this?

Thanks very much.

cjkeenan

oh and one more thing. Each time i noticed that my toilet tank was
empty. Someone had used the bathroom in the middle of the night each
time this has happened i'm guessing.

Pop

"cjkeenan" wrote in message
ups.com...
oh and one more thing. Each time i noticed that my
toilet tank was
empty. Someone had used the bathroom in the middle of
the night each
time this has happened i'm guessing.

Does that happen during the day if there is a prolonged
period of time when no one uses water?

Are you running an appliance at night that doesn't get
used during the day? Is it one with a heavy current
draw?

I'm just wondering if it's a pump problem or the combo
of the pump and something else that is popping the
breaker? Since the pump is only on for short periods
of time, if something else were only on for short
periods of time, it might take awhile for them to need
current at the same time, which might be popping the
breaker.
But, unless it also happens during the day,
something's fishy elsewhere or there's an appliance
that's only used at night so that when the pump comes
on it pops the breaker.

Post back with more information and maybe we can help
more.

Pop

CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

cjkeenan wrote:
over the past few weeks I have woken up to find that my pump is not
working. I then go to my electrical panel, turn off the breaker for the
pump for a minute or two, and then turn it back on. I can then hear the
pump kick in and my water pressure returns. I wonder if anyone has any
ideas what might be causing it to do this?

Thanks very much.

How old is the pump? Probably it needs to be cleaned. Mine did this
when it was on its death bed.

--
Respectfully,

CL Gilbert
cjkeenan

well as far as i know nothing else is running at night. It has not done
it in the daytime that I know of. Another point about the flush though,
somes the flapper will not close poroperly causing it to run if you
don't do the old jiggle the handle trick. Also the pump is only 6 years
old, the sameage as the house.

Rick

"cjkeenan" wrote in message
ups.com...
well as far as i know nothing else is running at night. It has not

done
it in the daytime that I know of. Another point about the flush

though,
somes the flapper will not close poroperly causing it to run if you
don't do the old jiggle the handle trick. Also the pump is only 6

years
old, the sameage as the house.

OK. Do you have adequate flow and pressure during daytime use, while
showering, etc?.

I gather from your post the breaker is NOT tripped at night, you just
switch it off for a few minutes then turn it back on. Is that
correct?

Under normal circumstances would the pump would be off for an extended
period during the evening, maybe 11 PM to 3 AM or so?

Duane Bozarth

"CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert" wrote:

cjkeenan wrote:
over the past few weeks I have woken up to find that my pump is not
working. I then go to my electrical panel, turn off the breaker for the
pump for a minute or two, and then turn it back on. I can then hear the
pump kick in and my water pressure returns. I wonder if anyone has any
ideas what might be causing it to do this?

Thanks very much.

How old is the pump? Probably it needs to be cleaned. Mine did this
when it was on its death bed.

Despite the 6-year old only, that's what it sounds like to me, too. Do
you have a pressure tank or is it direct charge system? Sounds like the
toilet may be running and over a period of time stressing the pump
on/off cycle. Very similar symptom w/ ours when it was in the process
of failing pump motor bearings--on occasion would kick the breakers
starting...for some months a reset would work, then finally one day it
didn't.
cjkeenan

duane, yes I do have a pressure tank

CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

Duane Bozarth wrote:
"CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert" wrote:

cjkeenan wrote:

[...]

yes, except mine would not trip the breaker in the box. I think there
must be an internal thing in pump because it kind of locks up. And I
have to unplug it and let it cool off I guess. then plug it back in and
its good. but i found that when this started it was time to clean the
pump and pipes. Pump probably overworked. In fact mine is a foundation
drain sump pump and the blades and pipe all were coated with 1/2" of
sediment...

--
Respectfully,

CL Gilbert

"Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that entereth not by the door() into
the sheepfold{}, but climbeth up some other *way, the same is a thief
and a robber."

GnuPG Key Fingerprint:
82A6 8893 C2A1 F64E A9AD 19AE 55B2 4CD7 80D2 0A2D

For a free Java interface to Freechess.org see
http://www.rigidsoftware.com/Chess/chess.html

Duane Bozarth

cjkeenan wrote:

duane, yes I do have a pressure tank

Does the pump/well have enough capacity to quickly makeup the leaking
toilet loss if it's running (the toilet, that is) continuously?
Bob

"cjkeenan" wrote in message
oups.com...
duane, yes I do have a pressure tank

The first thing to try is to fix the toilet. You could try replacing the
breaker - they do go bad. Is the breaker "tripped" before you reset it? Or
is it really on? Tripped is just slightly different position than on.

What happens when you run a sprinkler during the day?

Bob

Sam Nickaby

"CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert"

yes, except mine would not trip the breaker in the box. I think there
must be an internal thing in pump because it kind of locks up. And I
have to unplug it and let it cool off I guess. then plug it back in and
its good. but i found that when this started it was time to clean the
pump and pipes. Pump probably overworked. In fact mine is a foundation
drain sump pump and the blades and pipe all were coated with 1/2" of
sediment...

The pump overheats due to air lock (from sediment buildup?) then
stops pumping. Imagine an automotive fuel tank with no air
inlet. In this case the car stalls and the fuel tank collapses.

I'm not sure this is your problem.

cjkeenan

no the breaker is not tripped. I turn it off and on. I rarely run the
sprinker during the day

Rick

"cjkeenan" wrote in message
oups.com...
no the breaker is not tripped. I turn it off and on. I rarely run

the
sprinker during the day

If you're comfortable enough doing this, and have a clamp on ammmeter,
measure the current draw before you switch the breaker. If the pump is
locked up or it's running but just not pumping anything, it will still
draw current. If there's no current draw you have an electrical
problem.

Since you say the problem doesn't occur and flow and pressure are
adequate during daytime use it doesn't sound like a low water table.
The pump runs and cycles more during the day from normal usage. From
your description it only happens when the pump has not run for quite a
while..

Duane Bozarth

Rick wrote:

"cjkeenan" wrote in message
oups.com...
no the breaker is not tripped. I turn it off and on. I rarely run

the
sprinker during the day

If you're comfortable enough doing this, and have a clamp on ammmeter,
measure the current draw before you switch the breaker. If the pump is
locked up or it's running but just not pumping anything, it will still
draw current. If there's no current draw you have an electrical
problem.

Since you say the problem doesn't occur and flow and pressure are
adequate during daytime use it doesn't sound like a low water table.
The pump runs and cycles more during the day from normal usage. From
your description it only happens when the pump has not run for quite a
while..

Well, actually it sounds to me like it may be the other way 'round...the
pump's running continously at night after someone flushes the commode
and it doesn't stop running. He gets up and he's lost water during the
night. That appears to me to be a good possibility of losing head or
somesuch...
Rick

"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message
Well, actually it sounds to me like it may be the other way

'round...the
pump's running continously at night after someone flushes the

commode
and it doesn't stop running. He gets up and he's lost water during

the
night. That appears to me to be a good possibility of losing head

or
somesuch...

OK, from the original 2 posts I took it as he flushes the toilet
during the night and it doesn't refill. Didn't see the part about the
flapper being stuck and it running all night long...

Well Pump Difficult Starting--Question About Wire Color Codes Mark & Mary Ann Weiss Home Repair 11 April 9th 05 02:31 AM
Sump pump problem Randy Home Ownership 4 April 3rd 05 06:59 PM
Problem with Water pump Nick UK diy 4 March 2nd 05 02:47 AM
Help with well pump problem ... the pump or the pressure switch? Me2 Home Ownership 1 June 28th 04 03:26 AM
Backup Sump Pump Horror Story Harvey Krodin Home Repair 10 June 27th 03 02:59 PM