Old_boat

Default Gutter height

Does anyone know what the standard height measurement is between the last
shingle on a roof and how low or high the gutter should be? I had a builder
tell me that the gutters are too low after the second layer of roof shingles
were installed over the first. and that they needed raised up.

Larry

bc

"Old_boat" wrote in
:

Does anyone know what the standard height measurement is between the
last shingle on a roof and how low or high the gutter should be? I had
a builder tell me that the gutters are too low after the second layer
of roof shingles were installed over the first. and that they needed
raised up.

Larry

I'm not sure what the official spec for something like this is, or
even if there is one, but it seems to me that the thickness of another
row of shingles is not going to cause any problems.
Joseph Meehan

Old_boat wrote:
Does anyone know what the standard height measurement is between the
last shingle on a roof and how low or high the gutter should be? I
had a builder tell me that the gutters are too low after the second
layer of roof shingles were installed over the first. and that they
needed raised up.
Larry

Does the water go into the gutter. Yes - don't worry.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

mwlogs

Place a straight-edge along the roof, extending over the top of the gutter.
If it touchs the gutter, and raises off the edge of the roof, then the
gutter is probably high enough. If the straight-edge lays flat on the roof
and passes over the top of the gutter, then water rolling off the roof is
likely to do the same - shoot right over the gutter.

"Old_boat" wrote in message
. ..
Does anyone know what the standard height measurement is between the last
shingle on a roof and how low or high the gutter should be? I had a
builder tell me that the gutters are too low after the second layer of
roof shingles were installed over the first. and that they needed raised
up.

Larry

HerHusband

Place a straight-edge along the roof, extending over the top of the
gutter. If it touchs the gutter, and raises off the edge of the roof,
then the gutter is probably high enough. If the straight-edge lays
flat on the roof and passes over the top of the gutter, then water
rolling off the roof is likely to do the same - shoot right over the
gutter.

It is my understanding that in areas subject to heavy snowfall, that the
front edge of the gutter should be in-line with the roof plane. This allows
snow that builds up on the roof to slide off onto the ground, instead of
piling up on the gutter and ripping it off the building.

We get our fair share of snow in the winter, so I used this method when I
installed my own gutters. It seems to work well, even in heavy rains. The
only exceptions are the areas where the roof valleys channel the water into
a single area. In a heavy rainstorm, these concentrated areas to tend to
flow out past the gutter. I can't really raise the gutters up much, so I'm
thinking it has more to do with the gutter screens blocking the flow more
than the height of the gutter.

Anthony

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/6/19 7:13 AM, wrote:
On Saturday, July 23, 2005 at 8:18:37 AM UTC-7, Old_boat wrote:
Does anyone know what the standard height measurement is between the last
shingle on a roof and how low or high the gutter should be? I had a builder
tell me that the gutters are too low after the second layer of roof shingles
were installed over the first. and that they needed raised up.

Larry

https://www.thisoldhouse.com/how-to/...l-rain-gutters

"To ensure that gutters drain properly, make certain they slope (½ inch for every 10 feet) toward a downspout.
For gutter runs longer than 40 feet, it's best to pitch the gutter down from the middle to a downspout at each end."

gutter repair--what a headache peter p. Home Repair 13 April 19th 05 02:18 PM
Gutter guards ! [email protected] Home Repair 3 December 20th 04 09:35 PM
Gutter screen barry martin Home Repair 2 August 28th 04 02:24 PM
gutter drip edge problems wgadsby Home Repair 1 October 24th 03 10:26 AM
gutter guards Bloated Elvis Home Repair 0 October 15th 03 03:42 AM